The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

AQX files for built-in maps?

It's all about maps...
friedsquid

AQX files for built-in maps?

Post by friedsquid »

I just discovered your two offline map apps a couple of months ago and have been learning how to use them. I'd first like to say "thank you" because these apps are completely brilliant! I do long trips exploring the American West and it is essential for me to have a variety of maps available for navigating areas with few people, roads, or signs and no chance of any cell service. These apps are exactly what I have dreamed of being able to have for my trips!

I have learned how the file naming scheme works so that I can create custom groups of maps for my trips. I really appreciate that the AQX, DAT and IDX files do not have internal references to each other. This allows one to rename the files (to better identify and for better organization in use in the field) even after they have been created. More recently I have been creating custom AQX files before downloading maps so that I don't even have to rename the files later.

I found the thread in which you discuss area downloading for google maps and provide the AQX file ("GOOGLE.AQX") that contains the essential server links for google maps (this thread). Would it be possible for you to provide similar AQX files for the other built-in maps? I'm most interested in Bing Satellite but it would be useful to have the AQX files for all of the built-in maps. [Probably all I really need is the code between the <level> and </level> tags but having the whole files for download would be convenient.]

Thanks again for these amazing apps!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: AQX files for built-in maps?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your support!
Sorry for the delay.
You can manually add maps as explained here. In this list, you'll find all built-in maps (OSM, Google, Bing, USGS). Selecting a map will download an online version of the AQX file that will be used instead of the builtin one, so you'll have access to the content.
By the way, there is some basic explanations on the AQX format here.
I would recommend that you make your own (renamed) copies of the AQX files so you keep the builtin files unchanged (so you don't loose anything when adding new maps from the list).
I don't know what app version you use, but you'll need the complete version of AlpineQuest to do that. Alternatively you can also do it with this free version (ad supported).
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Taha.ahmed

Post by Taha.ahmed »

I need to download this map for the program because I do not have
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Which map?
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

It would be great to have the Community Maps List browsable from desktop, so we can examine the .AQX files easier.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

I found an undocumented AQX attribute,
<source id="TWDMAPCAD" layer="true" deprecated="true">
which apparently is what is in fact making that layer not download further!
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

P.S., the AQX documentation should say what parts of an AQX file can be adjusted if needed, without requiring downloading all the tiles over again.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

P.S., I have to congratulate the author. The ability to do simple math in the URL templates beats the others.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I found an undocumented AQX attribute
The "deprecated" tag is used when a map is no more working and must be removed, but it will remain available for users having already stored some data (so the stored data can still be viewed). This mainly is for builtin maps.
P.S., the AQX documentation should say what parts of an AQX file can be adjusted if needed, without requiring downloading all the tiles over again.
Unless you only change minor properties like name or outline, you should clear the data before editing a file.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

OK, but I notice that the map with source landmaps.nlsc.gov.tw/S_Maps/wmts/DMAPS is actually working fine again, but needs the "deprecated" tag to be removed in order to function again. So I hope you can please test it one more time and remove the tag. Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It doesn't work for me.
I've removed the deprecated tag so you can test it. If you confirm that it's working fine from TW, then I'll leave it.