The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] OSGB config file

It's all about maps...
twoten

[closed] OSGB config file

Post by twoten »

I am using the map creator in AQ to download the OSGB maps.
I have a bing key which I believe according to another post can be used for the Bing downloads.

Where can I find the config file to enter the key?

Keith.
AQ V2, Samsung Galaxy S7.
Samsung Galaxy S4
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: OSGB conig file

Post by Psyberia-Support »

You don't need this anymore. Just get the UK maps from the community maps list ("add more maps" at the end of the maps list).
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
twoten

Re: OSGB config file

Post by twoten »

OK thanks Psyberia-Support,
I have been using this but have found I get quite a few errors and looking through the forum wondered if my own key would have been better.

If downloading the maps from the community map list is it possible to save individual areas and back up to PC to avoid filling the SD card and can I pre-select the zoom levels I want to download again to try and control the file size or can I only doing this by downloading with MOBAC.
Samsung Galaxy S4
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can create a workspace from AlpineQuest and backup the corresponding folder on your PC, but if you like to manage files I guess it would be easier to use MOBAC...
twoten

Post by twoten »

I hadn't seen the workspace option, I will delve into it a bit further.

In the meantime I will start to create maps with MOBAC as I am already familiar with this.
I have a few questions related to an optimised OSGB map but will create a new thread for this.
Thanks for your help.
Samsung Galaxy S4
Yemble

Re: OSGB conig file

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:You don't need this anymore. Just get the UK maps from the community maps list ("add more maps" at the end of the maps list).
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I am curious about the changes to the OSGB config file, especially with the use of BING keys. When BINGs policy changed (was it 2015 or 2014?) AQ stopped pulling down the correct tiles and there was a lot of fuss whilst we sorted out a solution based on BING user keys.

Has this now changed again and if so, what are the implications / limitations of the new method? Remember that I downloaded the entire UK map @1:50K & 1:25K with my BING key. Would that still be feasible with the current OSGB config?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [closed] OSGB config file

In fact, users will have to use their own BING key again I guess since I've removed the OSGB maps from the community maps.
I've received a mail from OSGB asking me to do so since the application "facilitates the unlicensed use of OS mapping data"...
I'll see what that means for the future...
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:In fact, users will have to use their own BING key again I guess since I've removed the OSGB maps from the community maps.
I've received a mail from OSGB asking me to do so since the application "facilitates the unlicensed use of OS mapping data"...
I'll see what that means for the future...
OK, I'm more than happy to keep using my personal and proven BING key :D

I downloaded the explorer.aqx file from another thread to compare it with my com.4.aqx file. The first thing that I noted was that the explorer.aqx was version 8, compared with version 3 for com.4.aqx. I had a quick attempt at configuring the v8 script to work on my devices, but I could not get it to recognise the existing map cache, as it seems to be looking for a different map :(

So instead, I have modified the v3 script to include the updated OpenData section. I left the OSGB section alone as it is configured with my BING key for eight servers. The first thing that I noticed was the inclusion of the OS 1:250K Road Atlas in the OpenData tile feed. This is excellent and means that I no longer require my MiniScale OS map as an overlay. However, I spotted some flaws in the default zoom levels taken from the v8 script...

The OpenData tile feed does not return any tiles for even numbered zoom levels, so if even numbered zoom levels are included in the script, the effect on the map is that it jumps between the (pretty) OpenData map for odd zooms levels and the (ugly) base map for even zoom levels. This behaviour can be prevented within the script by setting the OpenData zoom levels to 3,5,7,9,11. Also, set the OSGB zoom levels to 12,13,14,15 and the result is a very smooth and attractive transition between the maps at all zoom levels.

Might I suggest that you change your template script accordingly?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The OpenData tile feed does not return any tiles for even numbered zoom levels
I do get tiles for all levels!
I'm just used to omit the zoom level 4 (and sometimes 6) so it zooms faster when for small scales.
Also, I didn't use the zoom level 12 for OS because I find it almost un-readable. I fund the OpenData zoom level 12 much better when searching for a place or town.
When you say you see no tiles for even zoom numbers, do you get an error or something?
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

On the lower even numbered levels, it displays from the sparse "green" base map, rather than the more detailed "beige" map. This bugged me so much that I have chosen to do without the lower even levels altogether. The end result works really well and looks great too. I suppose level 12 is a matter of personal taste, remember that I have a 12.2" screen on my tablet :-) Also, if lock on zoom level is disabled, there is enough headroom on level 11 to zoom-in without jumping to level 12.