The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Picture Waypoints: How do I view and export Photos?

It's all about maps...
JAK_6

Picture Waypoints: How do I view and export Photos?

Post by JAK_6 »

I've having a terrible time trying to view my picture waypoints. I took several of them, can see them plotted on the map, but when I try to open them from the map I get the following options: Move view over, Target, Open with..., Details, Remove, Edit color, Edit details, and Delete. When I try Open with..., I get the options to share via Gmail (among other programs) and opening using Google Earth, Maps, and Offline Maps. I tried emailing the picture to myself, but only the latitude and longitude appears in the email, no picture. When trying other programs I still cannot see my picture.

I've tried looking in the Samsung Tablet's own storage folders like photos and images with no success. What do I have to do to view and download my pictures? These were very difficult and expensive to travel to and get. Please help.

Thanks,
Joshua
JAK_6

Re: Picture Waypoints: How do I view and export Photos?

Post by JAK_6 »

Following up on the last post: I can see the details of each picture waypoint in the 'My Landmark' list. My picture waypoints have a little camera icon on the yellow flag. When I click on any of them, I see the details of the point: Location, Picture, and File. Under Picture it says File does not exist, but I know I never deleted it. So, I still can't see the picture through the Offline Maps App.

I can find the pictures on the Tablet's Device Storage using file explorer. When I navigate to Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/files/pictures, all the pictures are there. All I have to do now is match the coordinates from the App to these pictures.

Thanks,
Joshua
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the troubles you had using the app!
Strange issue, since you can see the pictures from your file browser. The folder seems correct, I don't know why the app can't read them...
Can you make an error report from the application? Preferably after taking a new picture waypoint.
Note that when the app can read the picture, a small thumbnail of it is shown when you select a picture waypoint displayed on the map. A larger version is displayed in the "Details" page, and when you click on it, the Gallery (or another compatible app) is started.
Sorry for all those troubles,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
JAK_6

Post by JAK_6 »

Before my complaints are overshadowed by my appreciations for this app, I must tell you that this app was tremendously helpful when navigating roads in Panama. So, thanks for that! I may have figured out what went wrong. When I got back from the field, I tried to change storage locations from the device storage to an SD card. That's when I could no longer see the pictures through the app. Now that I've extracted the pictures using the SD card, I changed the storage location in the app to the device's memory again. Once rebooting the app, I can now see the pictures where they ought to be in the waypoint details section, as you suggested (they were not showing up there before).

Thanks again!
Josh
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback and update.
So yes I guess you found the problem. By default, the application only saves the picture file name in the waypoint's info, and then look at the default pictures folder to load the picture (if you choose the picture from the Gallery, then the full path is saved and you don't have this problem). If you change the main app folder (using the storage device setting), the pictures folder also changes and the app won't find your pictures anymore.
After changing the storage location, just move the "/pictures/" sub-folder from the previous location to the new one, so you can get all your pictures back.
I agree that this is not very handy. I'll try to add an option to also move all other data automatically when changing the storage location...
Best regards
Turtlewallet

Post by Turtlewallet »

Greetings,

I'm having a similar issue.
I've taken several waypoint photos. I can see the photo waypoint icons on the map with the view angle, but when I click on details for each waypoint, the .jpg file path is there, but below that there is a line that says "File does not exists". I can't find the photos anywhere on my device. It's as though they weren't saved when I took the photo.

Storage location specified for the photos is /storage/emulated/0/OfflineMaps/pictures/filename

Storage location specified in user settings is /storage/emulated/0/OfflineMaps/

So they're pointing to the same place.

Using Android 9 with OfflineMaps 3.3

Micco
Attachments
Screenshot_20190516-091613.png
(184.21 KiB) Downloaded 2742 times
Screenshot_20190516-091038.png
(174.4 KiB) Downloaded 2742 times
Screenshot_20190516-090810.png
(113.81 KiB) Downloaded 2742 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Sorry for the troubles.
If you've checked the exact file path and it doesn't exist, then it has been deleted.
You can try to create a new picture waypoint, to check if the picture exists just after this action.
You can also make an error report (after displaying the screens in your screenshots) from the app (main menu -> more -> Report error) so I can check if the app logs any potential problem.
Turtlewallet

Post by Turtlewallet »

Hmmm,

For some reason, now I do see the picture when I make a new picture waypoint.
The storage location hasn't changed, so I'm not sure what's happened.

Also, I can only export the photos associated with the waypoint as a .kmz, not a .kml
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Also, I can only export the photos associated with the waypoint as a .kmz, not a .kml
Yes, KMZ files are archives (like zip files) and can contain attached files like pictures, icons, etc.
KML files are only simple text files, not possible to attach anything.