The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

USING SCANNED SURVEYORS' MAP PANELS

It's all about maps...
SidMMiller

USING SCANNED SURVEYORS' MAP PANELS

Post by SidMMiller »

I am part of a group of older men involved in an ongoing project involving a Scout Camp they attended when they were boys, providing historic and contemporary maps of the camp, on paper and in mobile phones. Only one of us (not me) has had professional computer experience. But we have been able to learn just enough as we go along to sustain the project.
In other words, my questions do not concern a commercial project, and the questions themselves will readily reveal a very superficial knowledge of the subject.
I have 42 large panels drafted by professional surveyors in 1962 (five feet contour interval and 1:1200 scale) which are contiguous and when assembled show the 12,360 acre reservation on which the various campsites for the larger camp are located. The panels have been scanned but not georeferenced (i.e., calibrated?). Our intention, if feasible, is to eventually provide a single map of the whole reservation usable on a mobile phone, with interactive features, particularly the ability to zoom in on individual campsites.
This suggests using AlpineQuest for the mobile phone.
Can MAPC2MAPC be used to (1) Georeference the scanned panels; (2) Format the panels for AlpineQuest; (3) Assemble the panels to produce a single map of the whole reservation; and (4) produce zoomable layers to show individual campsites? We are prepared to draw the campsites on the appropriate scanned panels where necessary before processing,
ds47uk

Re: USING SCANNED SURVEYORS' MAP PANELS

Post by ds47uk »

In theory I would suggest that this is possible

For each of your 42 scanned images you would nead to get the latitude and longitude of four (at a push three) recognisable points on that map. I georeferenced some old (~1900) maps some time ago and had to find points which were identifiable on current Ordnance Survey maps to get the coordinates (where are you? UK or US?) That may be difficult at the scale you mention unless the maps you posess already have latitude and longitude accurately marked.

Another option would be to stitch all the images together into one giant file (using Photoshop or some similar image processing program) and then, assuming it was done accurately) you would only need the four points over the whole area.

From here it is easy (but slowish!). MAPC2MAPC would enable you to generate either 42 AQM files for AlpineQuest or the one giant one. Remember that even if you have 42 files, AQ will automatically flow onto the next one when you are out in the field.

I am sure someone will have a better idea, but there's a starter!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: USING SCANNED SURVEYORS' MAP PANELS

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I unfortunately don't see any other ideas than ds47uk ones.
I guess it would not be necessary to join all images together, it looks like a big job and the app should be able to easily deal with multiple maps...
Bets regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !