The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Having trouble viewing KMZ files

It's all about maps...
fehrenbach

Having trouble viewing KMZ files

Post by fehrenbach »

I created KMZ files that are effectively my custom maps overlaid on Google Earth and used on my Garmin GPS.

I expected to be able to also view these on my Android device using the paid version of (All-In-One) offline-maps. I followed the forum instructions Landmarks Menu -> Explore Landmarks (browse & open file) ->Display Contents. Nothing happens! The forum says "you can only display in some items". What does this mean? Will this app display KMZ maps? The marketing says that it will accept KMZ files.

Paul
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble viewing KMZ files

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi ans thanks for your interest in our application,
The application cannot load maps ("overlays") from files, but only landmarks, I'm sorry for this misunderstandings.
By landmarks we mean waypoints, tracks, polygons, and any other vector data, as explained just below in the app description.
Please contact me by email for more details and what see we can do for you.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
mac

Post by mac »

Hi I was also of the same view that Alpine Quest could handle KMZ files in the same way as my Garmin, was there a solution to this that you advised ferenbach via email?
I have also tried to upload these KMZ files in to mobile atlas 2.0 but can't see any way I can do this or even to import the original Geo-referenced Tiff files from a spanish site. I would appreciate some feed back, thanks in advance
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
KMZ maps ("overlays") support has been added and will be available in the next version, a working beta version should be available under one month. It will then be very easy to use KMZ maps (with a reasonable file size).
Until then, there are few ways, I think the more simple is to use MAPC2MAPC to convert your files into .AQM files. There is a free version engraving a copyright note in the converted map, but for a temporary use I guess it's ok (or of course you can get the paid version).
You can also tell me what kind of map data you want to use so we can see if there is any online map server offering this same data.
Right now unfortunately this is the only update I can give.
Best regards
mac

Post by mac »

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to the next version. I generally use topographical maps for walking/exploring areas. Ideally in raster and I guess vector. I have just downloaded some tiff Geo-referenced maps from Andalusia, and was looking load them into Alpine Quest to use on my mobile phone. I use a mapping conversion program to convert theses into KMZ for use in custom maps in my Garmin Oregon 300, which works well. But the mobile phones these days makes the mapping faster and the screens are much better than the Garmin
mac

Post by mac »

I have tried MAPC2MAPC and it converts my files into .AQM files easily. I have therefore purchased the registered version and it works well Thanks for your advice.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok perfect, thanks for the feedback!