The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Read SRTM dem tif files

It's all about maps...
Jumpe

[done] Read SRTM dem tif files

Post by Jumpe »

I've downloaded srtm dem tif files from earthexplorer's USGS. Could you implement the reading of this data and creation of contour lines and overlay satelite view?
Jumpe

Re: Read SRTM dem tif files

Post by Jumpe »

Oh I think I commit a mistake, I was lookin for srtm data but I only got files with this type of name ASTGTM_S13W077_dem. I think that they're ASTER Global DEM files
Jumpe

Post by Jumpe »

oh, I found the correct file. I didn't see the dataset combobox. Now the file name is this "S12W077.hgt"
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I'm currently working on the support of SRTM data. The application will automatically retrieve the data on demand so users won't have to bother by downloading the data.
With data loaded, the app will be able to give an elevation value at any location, even when offline, and will fill elevation data when creating routes and tracks.
Right now it's not planned to add contour lines (some contour layers are already available in the maps list), but it would be a nice feature at some point.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Jumpe

Post by Jumpe »

That would be a good feature. Can I help in anything? I'm web developer, but I have some knowledge of java and android
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for your help. Right now it will be fine I guess.
Most of the work is done, I just need to get all the raw data from the NASA website and work on it (it contains a lot of errors), I'll do this once the new version is done.
Best regards
HishamO

Post by HishamO »

What's up on this feature?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
This feature should be available in the next major update, I hope under one or two months.
Best regards
HishO

Post by HishO »

What is up?
It's the really missed feature in aplinequest.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I'm still working on it. The application will use the new and more precise dataset recently published by the NASA.
It should be available within one month.
Sorry for the delay
Best regards
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:Hi,
I'm still working on it. The application will use the new and more precise dataset recently published by the NASA.
It should be available within one month.
Sorry for the delay
Best regards
Sounds interesting...

Will this feature effectively apply elevation data to any displayed map, offline? My specific interest is with the OSGB (BING) maps.

How will the data be aquired by AQ, ie. does it need to run in on-line mode for a while in order to get it in background, or is it a one off download process for a given map area?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes, all the point is to get elevation data stored on the device, so it can work offline and for any maps. You'll be able to get the elevation of any location (as long as the elevations are stored for that area), as well as getting an elevation profile when you manually draw a path.
Elevation data will be downloaded the same way on-demand maps are currently downloaded (when displaying an area and when using the store area tool).
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:Yes, all the point is to get elevation data stored on the device, so it can work offline and for any maps. You'll be able to get the elevation of any location (as long as the elevations are stored for that area), as well as getting an elevation profile when you manually draw a path.
Elevation data will be downloaded the same way on-demand maps are currently downloaded (when displaying an area and when using the store area tool).
Excellent, really looking forward to it now :D

Will it be possible to download this data independently of the map tiles? Having already spent weeks building a full off-line cache of the OSGB maps, I would not want to go through this entire process again. Maybe a "Refresh Elevation Data Only" option on the Store Area dialog?

Also, will the presence of this elevation data be indicated in some way when the "Show local storage coverage" option is active, possibly with a different coloured square, or maybe with a black dot in the centre of the square?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Elevation data won't be tied to any map, it will be downloaded the same way but won't depend on any map so you dont have to download any data twice if you use two maps. And yes you'll be able to check the coverage.
bidul91

Post by bidul91 »

Hello,

is it available now ?

thks