The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

UK OS Open Maps

It's all about maps...
Yemble

UK OS Open Maps

Post by Yemble »

Are there any plans to add any of these free UK OS Open Maps into the Community Maps section of AQ: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busine ... -grid.html ?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: UK OS Open Maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
This is not planned yet since it seems that none of these maps are in an usable format (apparently they need to be manually downloaded so they first need to be set up on a map server)...
I hope one day I'll have time to check this better, it seems interesting...
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Some of the OS Opendata raster maps are in TIFF georeferencing format which can be converted to AQM format using MAP2MAPC on a PC. I use the mini-scale UK map as an overlay on the OSGB community map as it is much better detailed than the default OSM map at zoom levels below 12.

On the subject of MAP2MAPC, I notice that it can read the map tile cache of Back Country Navigator (SqlLite) directly and convert it to an offline map in many formats. Unfortunately, there is no option to do the same for the AQ tile cache, however, maybe there is an opportunity here?

Does AQ use a standard method for storing its tile cache (like SqlLite), or is it proprietary?
Do you publish the data format of the cache in the same way that you publish the AQM offline format?
Would you be prepared to work with the developer of MAP2MAPC to create such a function, should they be willing to implement it?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The AQM format specifications are available, and John (the developer of MAPC2MAPC) have them, so it's up to him to include this feature or not...
But note that the app is moving to the new map format so it would be better to put efforts on this one. I'll contact John about this when the new version is ready.
Benjamais

Post by Benjamais »

Ok, things have moved on now. I have Memory Map 2015 Maps on my Android. Is there any way of linking AQ to the QC3 maps. All are Kosher and paid for. Any suggestions?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Benjamais,
QC3 support would be great, but I still have issues with this format (which is closed, encrypted, and not documented)... So I can't say if it will be available one day.
Best regards