The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

managing stored maps in Offline Maps

It's all about maps...
rl101

managing stored maps in Offline Maps

Post by rl101 »

Hi, I am a new user to offline maps, I went through the online help but still don't understand how maps are managed; it might be because I don't understand the concept of stored maps.
Imagine I want to store 3 map areas to prepare for a trip.
Once offline, how do I access them? creating landmarks? saving favorites?
How do I delete one of the stored areas once I am done with it?

Thank you
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: managing stored maps in Offline Maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in our applicatio,

All the data stored for a map is saved in a single storage on your device. You don't have to manage stored parts, and it avoids areas to be stored multiple times.
In the maps explorer, you can check how much data is stored for a given map (see the "Stored: XXXMB" under the name of the map). The drawback is that you can only clear all the data stored for a map (long-press the map and select "Clear data").

When you display a map, if the area is stored then this data is used. Otherwise new data is retrieved from online (if there is a network access), displayed, and also stored. You can check the "Offline mode" option in the maps sub-menu to force the application to only use the stored data. You can also check the "Storage coverage" option to have a display of the parts stored (each green square means that the area is stored, red that it's not).

Favorite map sets allows you to save a complex map configuration (for instance one map and various layers, with changed opacity and/or contrast). When selecting the set again, all this is restored at once.

The landmarks management is completely independent of the map you use. You can create them/retrieve them from the "Landmarks" menu.

Let me know if something is not clear,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
rl101

Post by rl101 »

Thank you, I understand.
Only other question is about accessing one of the saved maps offline:
so I continue with my 3 saved cities. I turn on my device (offline) and want to see the map of city x.
I can't search because I am offline. How do I go to city x quickly?... What I did is create a landmark so I can go to it.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok... So yes you can use a landmark to save the exact location of your stored area.
Usually I un-zoom the map until I see the location I want to navigate to, then move the map over it and zoom again, but it's true that you need to know where the place (ie city x) is approximately located... But I don't see any other way...
rl101

Post by rl101 »

Thank you very much, nice app. Haven't looked at layers yet, looks powerful.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.
Note that some layers (OSM ones) are temporarily not available, should be good soon.