The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Upgrade from OfflineMaps to Alpine Quest, offline map prob

It's all about maps...
eas

Upgrade from OfflineMaps to Alpine Quest, offline map prob

Post by eas »

*This is not an issue with Android 4.4 directory permissions*.

I was so impressed with these apps I thought I would upgrade from OfflineMaps (OM) to the paid version of AlpineQuest (AQ).

Is there an official way to configure AQ to see existing OM maps? Any pointers?

I have many Gb of 'community' maps (UK Explorer Topo) downloaded in /storage/extSdCard/OfflineMaps[/cache/custom-maps] and these are correctly visible offline when using OM. Problem is, if I install AQ it makes assumptions about the directory name. When I try to define the 'Storage device' so I can use these maps it appears that however I define the path, the program appends /alpinequest so it is not possible to point to the maps located in /storage/extSdCard/OfflineMaps. AQ throws a Java exception since, of course, the directory does not exist. See screenshot.

I have OM working well and am in the middle of a project (and I am not at home so don't have unlimited broadband quota at the moment) so I don't want to compromise all the existing map files by fudging directory names but...

Will AQ throw a wobbly if I use my File Manager to rename /storage/extScCard/OfflineMaps as /storage/extSdCard/alpinequest and then define the 'Storage device' path as /storage/extSdCard (I realise this would break OfflineMaps).

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-01-14-13-57-00.png
(103.26 KiB) Downloaded 2406 times
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade from OfflineMaps to Alpine Quest, offline map pr

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your feedback and support.

Yes you're right you can't make AQ to use the same storage folder. Just because both app uses a "storage device", and then append their particular folder name in it.

However, since AQ in an improved version of OM, there's no need to use both.
So you can just rename the OfflineMaps folder "/storage/extSdCard/OfflineMaps" to "/storage/extSdCard/alpinequest", and you'll be able to re-use all your saved landmarks, stored maps, etc.

Just be sure to restore the storage device in AlpineQuest to "/storage/extSdCard/".
Let me know if you have any issue

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
eas

Post by eas »

]
Let me know if you have any issue
Best regards
Thanks for the advice. I can now see my offline maps.

For the benefit of other users, don't forget you will have to rename the directory (in my case /storage/extSdCard/alpinequest) which was created when the app launched before you can rename OfflineMaps directory.

Also note that this procedure *appears* to restore your Favourite Maps and Sets. However these will have to be deleted and recreated since the embedded paths refer to the old location and the app throws another Java exception. This is easy to do, of course.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
Ok thanks for the feedback.
Yes, you're right concerning the favorite sets, except if you only use built-in maps.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !