The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Emailing walked routes

It's all about maps...
fortonsteve

Emailing walked routes

Post by fortonsteve »

I've completed a few walks and saved them. Really impressed with results
Is it possible to save AND email the route and details?
I have had no luck, probably as AQ sees the whole map and it would be too large, so is it possible just to show the walk and email that?

Steve
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Emailing walked routes

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the delay of this answer.
In the application, walked routes and other tracks, waypoints, etc. are called 'Landmark'. They behave independently from the maps: you can display any landmarks, and if you change the map, the landmarks won't change.
If you want to email a route, the easiest way is to export it in a file, and email that file. This file will only contain the data of the walked route, but no map, so it will be very small.
To export your route, long-press it and select 'Export as' (see here) and choose GPX track. Then email the GPX file created. GPX files can be displayed by various application, including Google Earth.
Let me know if you need more help,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
fortonsteve

Post by fortonsteve »

Hi many thanks. Really good to get a reply. I was not sure if I would get an email to confirm I had a reply, so only just found yours...Thanks
Yep! I've tried GE! Google Earth is impressive, but I was hoping to be able to see the route on a map for trekking/walking.
I tried long touch, on new route and saved routes, but nothing comes up. However if I tap, a list comes up which occasionally includes 'Export Map' but rarely & it only exports a tiny part of the route.
As I said before AQ may be seeing the whole map which is 25% of the UK! I started by saving as trk and can see the route fine, but if file emailed. nothing opens it! Can this saved file be changed from trk?
A fellow user of AQ told me to save in kml as I can't find anything to open trk and gpx once I have emailed the route. What do you suggest?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
The 'Export map' you see is to export the current map display as an image. It's part of the popup menu displayed when you click on the screen centre.

If you want to export your route to be used outside of AlpineQuest, then yes you'll need to convert it since the trk format is only used by AlpineQuest. Like you have been told, the KML format is a good choice.
To convert your trk, open the AQ 'Landmarks Explorer' (Landmarks menu -> 'Explore landmarks'), locate it, long-press it and select 'Export as' like explained above. If your route is displayed on the map, you can click on it. It's more simple if where you click if not the screen centre (otherwise the menu will be polluted with option for the screen centre). Then click again on the popup, and you'll find the 'Export as' option. The newly created KML file will be saved in the same folder.
Let me know

Best regards
fortonsteve

Post by fortonsteve »

Hi, A new problem! Many of my old routes have appeared on the map in purple, and I can't for the first time delete/remove them.
new routes appear in blue.
What have I done wrong?
Many thanks

steve
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
If a route is displayed in blue, it means it's one of your track that has been recorded by the Location Tracker.
You can clear this data from the Location Tracker panel: click on the "GPS Position" menu, then 'Location Tracker'.
See help here: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/tracker.
Best regards
fortonsteve

Post by fortonsteve »

Hi, no I can clear the blue, it is the purple older tracks that remain, even after selecting 'CLEAR' [button 6 on the link you sent]
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok sorry I mis-understood.
So the purple routes are saved routes that you have displayed over the map (like a previously recorded and saved route).
To remove it, click anywhere on it from the map view, click on it's name, and select 'Remove'. This route won't be displayed anymore, but will be still saved somewhere on your device.
Best regards