The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

fat 32 file size and android

It's all about maps...
unionjak

fat 32 file size and android

Post by unionjak »

Hello,
If I create a map in mobile atlas creator do I have to limit the file size to under 4 gig if I then store it on an ext sd card or thumb drive. I have made maps up to this size and stored to both external sd card (as Samsung call it) and to a usb drive and alpine can happily use these. I don't want to waste server time by creating a map only for android not to allow over 4 gig file.

Many thanks

Steve
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: fat 32 file size and android

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

If your SD card is formated using FAT32 (the common case), you won't be able to put file bigger than 4GB (Android or not).

If your device supports exFAT, you could format your card using it and put bigger files. But it's difficult to know if a device support exFAT before trying (meaning re-formating a card and so losing all data on it). Note that Android version < 3.0 can not handle files bigger than 2GB anyway.

You can always divide the area you want to store in few sub-areas, each having all zoom levels. You won't have to change of map often in this case.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !