The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

All maps erased by update to version 1.17

It's all about maps...
Harm

All maps erased by update to version 1.17

Post by Harm »

:evil: After updating to version 1.17 all of my maps have disappeared. This was a huge database (13 GB)of maps for off-line use on a planned cycling trip of 1000 km. I assume that all data have been lost. Please add a warning next time. Please give instructions how to backup the maps on my PC.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: All maps erased by update to version 1.17

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
We read you message from the error reporting tool but since you didn't give us any email we couldn't answer.
We're sorry you have issues with our application. However, be sure that updates never delete user data.

It seems you have Android 4.4, which doesn't allow application to write any more anywhere on the External SD Card. It's possible that due to that, the application could not use any more your old storage folder. Please check on your SD card if the folder 'OfflineMaps' exists, it may still contain all your data.

Also, please note that if you un-install the application (but update update), then Android 4.4 will delete all files created by it. We have no control over it, it's new new behaviour of Android, for all application.

Let me know
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the quick feedback.
But I do not understand your remark that “Android 4.4, doesn't allow application to write any more anywhere on the External SD Card”
Because this issue was solved by you. See the Alpine Quest Forum discussion of we 02 Apr 2014 under “Bugs and strange behaviors”, “Waypoints can no longer be created under Android 4.4”

Since then, using my Galaxy S4 (19505) with Android 4.42 (Kit-Kat), and your Offlinemapsplus version 1.15, I was able to save everything I wanted on the external SD card after following these instructions:

1) Use a PC hooked up to the Android phone, while in USB storage mode, and create manually the folder 'storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/'
2) Open the application settings of Allinone Offline maps Plus
3) Click on 'Storage device' and select the external SD card (the app path /mnt/extSDCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/') and then 'Ok';
4) Restart the application.

Since then I was super happy and stored huge amounts of data (13 GB) on the external SD-card of my phone
But after updating to 1.17 on 28 June 2014 all of the data are lost.
I will look again for all the lost files (maps and favorite map sets) by hooking up to PC later.
Please do not tell me that from now on I cannot store maps any more on my external SD card

Harm
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Sorry about this misunderstanding.
I actually meant "anywhere on the SD card", but you're right that applications can still use a particular folder on the SD Card, as you have well configured.
I didn't know you where already using this folder before the update, I though your data may have been in another now read-only.

I must admit I have no idea why all your data disappeared then, since you're correctly using the application folder. I'm sorry and afraid you won't be able to get it back. Be sure that it hasn't been made (on purpose) by the application nor the update. Before the next update, you can backup the entire application folder in case it happens again. You can also just rename it so Android won't be able to do something with it.

Again, be careful that when using this folder, Android will delete it if you remove the application.

Post by Guest »

I checked the SD-card content by hooking up my Galaxy S4 to a PC.
All maps that I stored during the last 2 months are gone!
The card memory Galaxy S4/card/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapspluscache only contains the file “builtin-maps”, but not “custom maps”
Fortunately all my waypoints are still visible on the screen. Indeed the “/landmarks” file still contains all the waypoints that I collected during the last 2 months, showing the intended 1000 km cycling trail. These have not been erased by the update to version 1.17
So I guess I can reconstruct my trip.
I will have to download all of the maps at the different zoom levels once again into my SD card.
Unless you say it does not work (anymore).
Please tell me.

Kind regards,
Harm
(who is still in shock)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No you can cache the data that should be fine.
Be sure to backup your data just in case for the next update.
You should also backup right now all your tracks. You can always have various issues with micro SD cards.
Best regards

Post by Guest »

OK Got it!
In OpenStreetMap_Cycle-Hike Map I re-opened all of the cycling maps along my planned trail (at several zoom levels) using the still visible waypoints. As before, this action automatically stores these maps on the ext SD-card, also in version 1.17.
Then I copied the files /card/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/cache/custom-maps and also of /card/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/cache/landmarks into my PC.
Now I can sleep quietly, knowing that all of the maps can be saved on the external SD-card, and have a backup.
Thanks!
It is a great APP!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can also just copy the whole '/card/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus'. It contains other folder with small data that may be useful, like exported maps screenshots if any, custom icons, user settings, and also favorite map sets (saves in '/cache/').
Also, built-in maps like OpenStreetMap ones are not stored in '/cache/custom-maps/', but in '/cache/builtin-maps/'.
That's why copying the whole application folder would be safest.

Again, sorry for your issue,
Best regards