The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Possible to use google maps offline?

It's all about maps...
paca17

Possible to use google maps offline?

Post by paca17 »

Hi,

I just downloaded the Lite version to see if it would be useful to me. The learning curve seems to be a little steep for me (never used any kind of maps before and online help still left me very confused).

Basically I would like to know if it is possible to use google maps with roads layer while offline.
Storing maps is not possible in the free version but then it seems that storing google maps would be impossible in any case.

Is there any way I could save the map I need (southeastern Mexico, basically), with the ability to zoom in as I do when online?

The only thing that is working for me right now is navigating the map while online and zooming until the map gets chached, then I can use it while offline. It takes a long time though and I'm not sure if it might work as a long term solution.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Possible to use google maps offline?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes you're right, storing large areas with Google Map has been disabled due to legal issues.
However, you can add this ability back by simply copying a configuration file on your SD Card as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1736. It will allow you (full version only) to store large areas with google maps.
Another alternative is to use other maps like Bing Maps or OSM maps.
Let me know if you have any question,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
paca17

Post by paca17 »

Thank you very much for answering so quickly.

I would rather be able to use google maps since Bing and others I've tried don't seem to be as useful, at least in my location.

So, if I download the google.aqx file from your link and install it on my sd card, then it would allow me to store maps at different zoom levels quickly, without having to scroll and cache the whole area as with the online map? Could you please explain how I would need to proceed in this case?
I'd be glad to pay for the full version, just need to be sure that I'll be able to do what I need to.
Thanks again!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Yes that's right.
You select an area, then the maximum level of details, and you start the process. You can still use the app while it's downloading in background.
The the file on your SD card (placed as explained in the post), you can also do it with all Google Maps.
There is a size limit (approx. 250MB of data) for each start, but you can start the process how many times you want (this limit can be increased but it's not recommended).
Here is the help on this feature: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... store-area.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !