The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Zoom Levels and Zoom Notation

It's all about maps...
flipster

[done] Zoom Levels and Zoom Notation

Post by flipster »

I'm a little familiar with map detail notations like 1:10000 ... but I'm having trouble making sense of 1 - 3/15 and the number in paretheses, which I gather is the google maps zoom level ... also not familiar with what that translates to.

Can somebody give me the 10,000 ft view of it, in other words, fill me in in general what it is I'm looking at?

How zoomed in do I need to be to get useful roadmaps, as opposed to topo hiking maps? Don't want to store more map than I need for driving ... but I also do a bit of hiking in the mountains, where topo maps would be the order of the day in other areas.

Thanks if you can

-Phil
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Zoom Levels and Zoom Notation

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes you're right it's a little different from usual paper maps. It's more difficult to get a fixed scale value since digitalized maps can be zoomed, and the render also depends of the screen type (size and density of pixels).

Anyway the numbers give the current level number and the total number of levels of the map. The number in parentheses is the equivalent OSM/Google zoom number. (16) is approximately a 1:12,500 map ; (15) a 1:25,000 ; (14) a 1:50,000 and (13) a 1:100,000.

I'll try to add this kind of information in the next update.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Zoom Levels and Zoom Notation

Post by Psyberia-Support »

These numbers are now displayed in the latest version.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !