The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Invisible 'external_SD' folder in Windows Explorer

It's all about maps...
onionsbo

Invisible 'external_SD' folder in Windows Explorer

Post by onionsbo »

On loading AlpineQuest I attempted to copy AQM files to the maps folder which should have been created 'external_sd' folder was not visible on Windows Explorer (Win 7 32 bit) but is visible on the 'My folders' view on my Samsung S2 smartphone. How can I make the folder visible in Win Exp so I can copy in my AQM maps?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Invisible 'external_SD' folder in Windows Explorer

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
What folder do you see in your Windows explorer? Don't you see any 'external_sd' subfolder in the displayed folder?
What you can also do is to copy your AQM files inside the folder listed in Windows, then from AlpineQuest browse your device to search for the maps or even perform a complete map scan as explained here:
http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... lpinequest
Let me know if you don't make it work.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
onionsbo

Post by onionsbo »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I append pdf screen shots of the directory structure on my phone memory. The Win 7 explorer view shows no 'external_sd' but the view using My Folders app on the Samsung S2 shows the folder.

I made a maps folder on the external SD card which has been inserted in the phone and copied a map to a 'Maps' folder below the 'root' and ran the scan as indicated. I moved this maps folder to the 'phone' memory and again ran the scan. maps were nor found in either case. The photo of the phone showing no maps were found by Alpinequest seems to still have the default path. The search returned the ' no maps found'message almost instantaneously in all cases.
Attachments
Map file not found.jpg
(46.29 KiB) Downloaded 5002 times
Win 7 explorer view.jpg
(47.4 KiB) Downloaded 5002 times
View from phone app.jpg
(70.79 KiB) Downloaded 5002 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It seems that your files are stored in a folder called '/storage/sdcard0' (as seen in last screenshot).
What you can do is to tell AlpineQuest to use this folder too:
- follow this tutorial http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... orage_path to change the default storage path and enter '/storage/sdcard0/';
- restart AlpineQuest and perform a scan of your maps as explained above (be sure to check the 'Recursive scan' option and to select the 'SD Card' path that should then be '/storage/sdcard0/').
onionsbo

Post by onionsbo »

Thanks for that. Following your recommendation Alpinequest created an 'Alpinequest' folder that I could see on Win 7 Explorer so I was able to copy a map file (into the maps folder I could now see) and some GPX files (into the landmark folder). I had to delete the external_sd folder on the phone that was invisible to Win 7 explorer using the phone tools.

This problem only occurred following an upgrade to the android op system on the phone. All worked OK in Alpinequest before that. A friend has a similar prob with a Samsung S2 and Alpinequest I will see if I can solve it.
Aqm-S2

Post by Aqm-S2 »

No problem with AQM data (maps, landmarks...) after the Android upgrade from 3.0.4 (ICS) to 4.1.2 (JB) with my GS2 (GT-I9100) from Free operator (F) : files are in /storage/sdcard0/alpinequest/ same as /sdcard/alpinequest/

But not so easy with other "lost" apps or "lost" links...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedbacks.

It's true that Android's management of SD card is not so clear, and becomes more and more complex with new versions (http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... ual-sdcard)....

I try to choose the best folder to store the cache on but it's not always working fine or what the user expects...