The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Ordnance Survey maps for the UK

It's all about maps...
KeithL

Ordnance Survey maps for the UK

Post by KeithL »

With the demise of Viewranger due to it's takeover by the abysmal Outdoor Active app I started looking for a replacement and came across AlpineQuest which in my opinion is by far the best mapping app available.

I have the pro version and have been using it with some old QCT maps, these work great but they are more than 15 years out of date.

I am quite willing to pay for the latest OS mapping either outright or as a subscription.

Do you have any plans to make this available in AlpineQuest ?

I am sure the thousands of disgruntled users of Viewranger would find AlpineQuest a worthy or even better replacement.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Ordnance Survey maps for the UK

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Right now unfortunately we don't have the ability to offer descent OS maps.
The OS make it almost impossible for small developers to offer this ability.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Bob Sparkes

Post by Bob Sparkes »

I can download OS Maps for offline use, but how do I get Alpine Quest to read them? When I used Memory Map maps previously,
Alpine Quest would move smoothly from one map to the adjacent one, how do I do this using my downloaded OS Maps.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you're talking about stored maps by AlpineQuest, there is nothing to do the application will automatically use stored data when possible.
vallka@vallka.com

Post by vallka@vallka.com »

There was a discussion (a long time ago) on how to get OS maps for free using Bing online map key. I have tried to repeat it now - and surprisingly it worked for me perfectly. Apparently, this would violate OS legal rights and we won't discuss it here. That's said, there are a number of paid apps - including OS's own app, another one is Anquet maps, all reasonably priced. But! All of them so badly written so I cannot use them at all. The said Anquet maps simply hangs on my phone every 15 minutes. And of course, they are nowhere close to AlpineQuest in functionality. So I told myself after paying for OS maps to a few of the official apps I have all the rights to use a 'hacked' version in AlpineQuest, if all these apps are unusable for me :)

But I don't think it is totally impossible to include this feature into AlpineQuest legally, on a paid basis. Just knowing myself how important it is for UK outdoor enthusiasts, I would love to help implement this feature - of course, if this isn't absolutely impossible :)
Greenlaner

Post by Greenlaner »

I found this post about using Bing maps with another app, I have a Bing API key, does anyone know the syntax to create and AQX file to access bing maps?

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... rvey-maps/
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi,
We need to be patient, François is working providing a function to enable us to purchase premium OSGB mapping.
LonelyBlade

Post by LonelyBlade »

Sorry to resurrect this once again but I too am in the same position as the OP - maps well out of date an desperately need renewing. I have just tried a subscription to OS maps and ended up being refunded due to the poor performance of the app. I've also looked at Memory Map but fear I would be in exactly the same boat - no direct access to maps stored on my device and no operation possible without phone signal/wifi/data. Maybe I'm missing some vital information and their customer services are really helpful but I cannot work out how to name the download and find it stored on my device which makes it too complicated for an old duffer like me!

All a bit annoying as I love my Alpine Quest and just want to update the maps but it seems to be impossible. Is there anything 'official' as to Alpine Quest eventually getting the access we'd like to the maps? Even OS don't have the capability to sell me digital versions. The access to them that you get via the paper maps will only work within their own app and trust me, that really is poor - wouldn't even open up with a poor signal let alone display any mapping. Alpine Quest opened immediately and recorded a track for me no problem!!

Fingers crossed something may arrive in future development!
Greenlaner

Post by Greenlaner »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:26 pm If you're talking about stored maps by AlpineQuest, there is nothing to do the application will automatically use stored data when possible.
Hi,
We need to be patient, François is working providing a function to enable us to purchase premium OSGB mapping.

I know that some small developers have successfully linked to Bing Maps Ordnance Survey interface (Check out Trailwise 2 from the Green Lane Association in the UK you wont see the Binbg OS Map option unless logged in :( ), any chance of something like this?
I'm currently using 10 year old 1:50,000 OS maps created via legacy Memory Map data, would really appreciate up to date 1:25,000 OS maps.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I understand.
Access to those maps is planned and a top priority.
LonelyBlade

Post by LonelyBlade »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am I understand.
Access to those maps is planned and a top priority.
Is there any idea of how long this may take? Longer days ahead and time to get out more - do I need to start looking at other products again or should I sit tight? :lol:
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Cannot say right now unfortunately.
If it's something you need, then yes you should use an app that already has it.
Thingumybob

Post by Thingumybob »

Totally agree with all those disliking the official OS App, it really is abysmal. Clunky, crashes, no options for any sensible defaults (such as automatically opening the offline map file regardless of whether there's a signal or not - if I have the map on my phone why WOULD I be interested in the online version 🤔). When Alpinequest is able to offer a way to use OS mapping I'll be there with my pennies!