The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Storage location not accessible in latest update 2.3.1

Something wrong? Report it here
geoffers

[closed] Storage location not accessible in latest update 2.3.1

Post by geoffers »

Hi

My AQ has just updated to 2.3.1 and all maps/landmarks etc are no longer available in my chosen folder (storage/emulated/0/alpinequest) - this was all working fine prior to the latest AQ update.

I have moved them to the system path (../Android/data/pysberia.alpinequest.full/files....etc) so they are working again now, but this was a real pain.

I have read the details online which says this is an issue since Android-11 (my phone is actually Android-12) - but it has been working fine on this device and also my tablet running Android-11 - it only now fails to access my preferred location since this AQ update and has been fine previously, so doesn't look to be an issue under Android > 11

(Otherwise still think that AQ is the best mapping app around)

Any ideas please...

Thanks, Geoff
geoffers

Re: Storage location not accessible in latest update 2.3.1

Post by geoffers »

The difference between the v2.3.0 & 2.3.1 options in the Storage Location settings are

V2.3.0 on Android 11 - warning "If you use a maintenance application, it may delete this location", but the location is useable

V2.3.1 on Android 11 & 12 - now says "Your system prevents usage of this option", doesn't allow usage since the update to 2.3.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Geoff,

Thanks, I'll investigate.

Do you confirm that in both cases the application has been updated from an older version and not freshly installed?

For newly installed apps, the "alpinequest/" folder is not available, this is normal (for version 2.3.0 and up).
However when you update from an older version, it should remain available.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Thanks: Just to confirm that these were long standing installations of AQ, which updated themselves from 2.3.0 automatically on Tue 12 or Wed 13, as I only noticed the change in behaviour on Wed
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the info.
I've published a new beta version called "2.3.1b". You get beta versions on the Play Store, from the app's page, enroll in the beta program.
Can you tell if it's better?
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Thanks : Just tried 2.3.1b but it hasn't made any difference
TBQH I've now moved all my data to the ../Android etc.. folder so all's working fine again for me, so maybe not worth spending too much time sorting this, but there may be other users with issues?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback anyway.
The new storage limitations are not very clear for most users so it's difficult to know if the problems reported are the new expected behavior or if it's really some kind of bugs...
gardiol

Re: [closed] Storage location not accessible in latest update 2.3.1

Post by gardiol »

I'm suffering from the same Issue Just updated my phone to Android 12 and I can not longer Access any of my file based maps...
gardiol

Post by gardiol »

Ok i registered now.
I am using latest beta from play store. Issue is there MD made basically all my file based maps (10gb) useless.
gardiol

Post by gardiol »

Also, moving maps to AQ folder (android/.../files/maps) still requires a root file explorer! So that is not a viable options for most people.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Gardiol,
The behavior you describe is not an issue, it's the way things now work on Android 11 and more. You can blame Google for those choices.
Now about how to use your maps, you have two options listed in the online help here: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _and_above
gardiol

Post by gardiol »

Actually it worked on A11... Only on A12 I have this behavior!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Android 11 and 12 work the same, like will all future versions.

However, and as explained in the link above, the difference is when you update or freshly install the app.
- When you update the app, this one can keep all the previous grants (ie access all types of files), the Android system does remove the rights.
- When you freshly install the app, the new limitations are enforced by the Android system (ie access only media files outside of the app folder).
gardiol

Post by gardiol »

To be honest, apps like FairEmail can access all types of files. There are apps which request a specific "access all types of files" and this is on a fresh A12 install from clean flash, so no inherited permissions... So it can be done somehow. Albeit I have no idea how.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

To be honest, I'm tired to explain the same things again and again. Trying to justify for some Google decisions. (don't take it personally, I understand it's frustrating for you as an user that want to do a simple thing)
Everything is explained here: how it now works, how to deal with maps stored outside of the application folder (yes, it's still possible to use them there, just read the link until the end).

If you don't trust me, read other documentations.

But currently, the application works as intended, based on the new restrictions imposed by google.
Other app works
Yes, those applications are allowed to access all files:
  • File managers, sync apps, document management apps, and all friends of Google;
  • Apps that haven't been updated since November, 2021;
  • Apps you had installed before November, 2021, and updated after;
  • Apps you install outside of the Play Store, so if you purchase the app on our website or on the Huawei AppGallery, you will have access to all files.