The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] "Record track" appends to existing GPX file?

Something wrong? Report it here
ukuest

[closed] "Record track" appends to existing GPX file?

Post by ukuest »

Hello,
I like your software, especially the smooth way it handles zooming. Bought the full version and am happy with it.

Now I am learning how to work with tracks, recorded some tracks yesterday that were ok.
Today I started recording a new track, but it was appended to an already existing GPX file (which is a track in a different part of the country!)

It could be that this GPX track was still loaded.
Does that mean that unless I unload previous GPX files first, new tracks will be appended to them?
I have not been able to find out how to unload a GPX file.

Can you shed some light on this please?

ukuest
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: ""Record track" appends to existing GPX file?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Thanks for your feedbacks.

Concerning track recording, here is how it works (I know this is not documented):

GPX files are like containers. You may put whatever you want in them: one or many tracks, routes and waypoints.
Usually you record a track in a single .GPX file so that 1 track = 1 .GPX file, but this is not necessary. I often add some waypoints in addition of the main track (like 'Bridge', 'Nice flowers', ...).

Using AlpineQuest you can choose where to record a new track:
- If the Landmark explorer is viewing a folder and you select "New track", then it will create a new empty .GPX file and record the track inside.
- If the Landmark explorer is allready viewing (the content of) a .GPX file and you select "New track", the new track will be recorded in that existing .GPX file (that seems to be your case), in addition of existing ones. Note that in this case a new track is created (I mean the GPX file is appended but not the tracks).

Its also possible to append a track (long click on a track and select "Continue"), meaning "the track I want to record now is actually the same as this other one, even if I closed the application". In this particular case a new segment is created (tracks are actually divided into segments).

I you want to split your 2 tracks in 2 different GPX files, you can duplicate the GPX file (using a file explorer), open the first one in AlpineQuest and remove the second track, and then open the second file and remove the first track.

I hope to be clear enough, don't hesitate to ask for more details.
Camille.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Camille,
thank you for your detailed answer. Very good and clear explanation.

So I just have to be careful to be on the top level of the Landmark explorer if I want to record a new track in a new GPX file. That is easy enough, one just has to know it.

A small suggestion: the landmark explorer asks for a name for the new track at the start of recording. That is not always convenient, often I just want to start recording quickly without too much interaction with the device. So I would prefer that the name of the new track/gpx file is assigned automatically, using date and time, with the option of renaming it at the end of recording, otherwise it is saved with the automatically created file name.

ukuest
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

I just have to be careful to be on the top level of the Landmark explorer if I want to record a new track
Right. You may also be placed in a folder, but not in a GPX file.
So I would prefer that the name of the new track/gpx file is assigned automatically, using date and time
That's how it works ;)
When the dialog asks for a name, just click on "OK" without typing a name. The GPX file will be named with the date/time stamp, and the track will be unnamed. Whenever you want you can long click on a item (GPX file, track, waypoints, ...) and rename it.
I agree this is not explained. I'll try to pre-fill the name field with the time stamp, and clear it automatically if the user focuses the text field to enter a real name.

Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ukuest

Post by ukuest »

Wonderful!
I'll try to pre-fill the name field with the time stamp, and clear it automatically if the user focuses the text field
That would certainly make it easier for newbies like me.

Thank you! I am appreciating more and more how well you thought out the usability aspects of your software.

ukuest