The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] App freezes after upgrading to Android 12

Something wrong? Report it here
DaveLively

[fixed] App freezes after upgrading to Android 12

Post by DaveLively »

I recently upgraded my Pixel 5 phone to Android 12. After doing so the display freezes and the app becomes unresponsive about 10 - 20 minutes after I start recording a track. But it is recording the track in the background. If I force stop the app and restart I can see the track and it continues to the location where I stopped and restarted the app. I am not using explorer mode.

Android 12 adds a new under location permission to allow precise or approximate locations. In the location permission section I have "Allow all the time" and "Use precise location" enabled. The app also has permission to "Allow management of all files" in the file permissions section.

App version = 2.2.9b (Full paid version)
Phone = Google Pixel 5
Android version = 12
DaveLively

Re: App freezes after upgrading to Android 12

Post by DaveLively »

Google put out bug fixes for connectivity and I tried using explorer mode. The app ran fine for me today. I suspect it was the bug fixes from Google that solved the problem but if I still have issues when I quit using explorer mode I will post an update here.
DaveLively

Post by DaveLively »

The app still crashes unless I use explorer mode. The log file reports 0 errors but the app becomes unresponsive.

I seem to be the only one with this problem but hope it gets fixed in the next update. Using explorer mode seems to be an effective work around but I prefer using the regular mode.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your report,
Sorry for the troubles and delay,

Right now I haven't been able to personally test the application on Android 12, however you're the first one to report any problem with this version of Android.
I'll make some research to see if I can find something related to this problem.

Could you make an error report from the application? even if it shows no errors, so I can get useful debug information on your system.
I'll get back soon,
Sorry again
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
DaveLively

Post by DaveLively »

I sent a bug report from the app. Once the app freezes a force stop is the only way I have found to recover so the report was sent after that.
DaveLively

Post by DaveLively »

Google put out a bug fix and the app is still not working but the symptoms have changed. I submitted a bug fix but want to provide more details. I am now using build SP1A.21105.003 of Android 12.

The app now fails in explorer mode too. When I unlock the phone or switch to the app while recording a track after it has been running in the background for at least 15 minutes I see a toaster that says something like "Unable to retrieve task control group . . ." and the app no longer freezes up but does stop displaying the track being recorded. I have not had this happen while wearing glasses and have been unable to read the complete message before it pops back down. The app also quits using an angled map display, it goes back to a straight overhead view. But it does keep trying to rotate the map to keep it pointed the direction I am moving instead of using north is up. While it is not displaying a track it will not let me resume a new one until I force stop the app and restart it. The error report I sent was after it had been restarted.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks, this is helping.
Based on your comments I guess you're seeing this message: "Unable to retrieve a task control multiple times!".
It looks like a new instance of the application is being restarted while the current one is still running (or not completely closed).
I'll try various things to prevent in the next update.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I've released a beta version of 2.3.0 with some improvements for Android 11 and 12.
In case you're interested to test it, you can request beta versions in the Play Store page of the app (enroll for the beta testing program).
Best regards

Re: [fixed] App freezes after upgrading to Android 12

Post by Guest »

I haven't checked in for the past couple of months and just saw this. I was forcing the app to stop and restarting it as a workaround and did not lose data when I did. As you mentioned, the original instance was running in the background even after the new instance in the foreground crashed.

While I didn't download the beta I came here today to say since the 2.3.0 release last week the issue has been resolved. I have only used the app a few times since the update but have not had any problems with it, thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [fixed] App freezes after upgrading to Android 12

That's a great news, thanks for the feedback!