The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Picture waypoints lose coordinate data when attempting to use in external app (e.g. google earth)

Something wrong? Report it here
alemsqdt

[closed] Picture waypoints lose coordinate data when attempting to use in external app (e.g. google earth)

Post by alemsqdt »

Hello
I am having the following trouble with picture waypoints.
Some time ago I was able to make a picture waypoint, then go to the image file where it is stored, transfer it to my computer and when importing it in google earth it placed the image correctly in the map (I could see that the jpg file had the coordinates as metadata). Now this no longer happens. For some reason the pictures I take now doesn't include any coordinates in their metadata. Therefore I can't import them as georeferenced pictures in google earth.

Older pictures (with correct behavior) were taken using a Lenovo K6 mobile and app version 3.5b. New ones (with the problem) are taken using a Samsung Galaxy A30 and app version 3.5c

Further info: The pictures (old and new ones) are correctly located in the app's map. When I hit the picture icon and I go to details, I can see the coordinates there (which are correct), this indicates that somehow the app can associate the picture archive with the coordinate.

I also installed Open Camera (as suggested in an early post), activated the "store geolocation data" option and use that app to take picture waypoints, but the problem persists. No coordinates are stored in the picture metadata and they are not well located when I import them in google earth

In summary, in some way the app is still getting the coordinate info, since it can place the picture waypoint in the correct location, but this info is not stored in the picture metadata because google earth can't retrieve it.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Picture waypoints lose coordinate data when attempting to use in external app (e.g. google earth)

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The application do not take the picture itself, it does ask to your Camera application to take it (so you can use all settings/tools available in your Camera app).
This is also true for the location information within the picture (EXIF data), which is added or not by your Camera app.
On your new device, check if this setting is activated in your Camera app (seems this is OK for you).
But also, check that the GPS location is available at the time you take the picture, otherwise the Camera app won't be able: be sure to allow the Camera app to use the GPS (in the Android's Camera app permissions settings), and that your device tells you the GPS location is available (it may take quite some time to get the first GPS location).
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !