The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Loss of GPS in the background

Something wrong? Report it here
Ingensor

[closed] Loss of GPS in the background

Post by Ingensor »

Hello! :)
I know this is not a bug or not, but I'll try to explain. :roll:
When turned on location and I block the phone - he begins to lose GPS. When I unlock your phone - it is a time indicates a previous location (1), and again looks for satellites (7/0 in the status bar). A minute later, the program finds the satellites and shows where I (2). Whether the program should lose companions in the background? This is a bug? Is it possible to make the satellites are not lost? Any user setting? (I understand that the battery can greatly spend)
PS: While recording, everything is fine and nothing is lost

Regards, Thanks in advance! :)

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Loss of GPS in the background

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi
There is an option for this in the application settings, in the GPS Location section: "Disable in background".
By default, when you are not recording a track, the application turn off the GPS when the screen if off. The compass is also turned off. This way the application uses zero battery when the screen is off.
You can leave it like this for hours, and only turn on the screen some times to check your current location.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

I understand, but the option "Disable in background" I have not checked daw, but the application behaves as if the option "Disable in background" has been activated.
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Ingensor, do you use an Android phone?

I am having a similar problem on my Android tablet. It used to be able to get a fix in the house when near a window, but now it takes a long time outside before it gets a fix. This is not only with AQ however - all apps which use the GPS show the same behaviour. The app 'GPS Status' initially shows no satellites!

I have Googled this and there are some vague comments about an update which has caused this. I am not sure, but Android seems to be the cause. The solution is to make sure that you get a strong fix outside before using AQ for any essential navigation.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

ds47uk
Yes, it is my Android 9 and Android 10. On both Android phones, the problem remains... even though programs like "GPS Locker" or "GPS Up" - do not lose the GPS in the background.

Psyberia-Support
Can you add a user setting "location update delay" for the GPS position mode? (As is done in the Track recorder mode settings)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It's possible that some devices/brands use stronger battery economy measures.
First thing to check is that no economy mode is activated, because limiting usage of the GPS is the first thing done.

@Ingensor, you can use this one:

Code: Select all

geolocation.localisation.real_time_delay_ms=
Default is "250" (milliseconds).
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Thanks, I'll try.
Eco mode is disabled for me, but I'll try to remove the power management service (which kills the processes in the background)
I will write here about the result
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Psyberia-Support

Hello again!
I completely removed through the root power management services and saving battery mode.
Problem still exists. Setting "geolocation.localisation.real_time_delay_ms = 250" affects the delay receive data from GPS, right? (In the screenshot timer)
If I lock the phone, the timer is stopped (like pause), and when I unlock your phone and then again looking for the satellites and the timer continues to count from the moment when I lock the phone (make sure you do the same?)
PS: If the option "Disable in background" is enabled, the timer is reset to 0 when the phone is locked.

Can you do that this timer is not stopped, when the phone is locked? I think this is the problem...

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,

The number you show is not a timer, it's the number of the GPS fix = the number of locations received from the hardware GPS chip since the application turned on the GPS.
If the option "Disable in background" is enabled, the timer is reset to 0 when the phone is locked.
Yes, because with this option the application turn off the GPS when you turn off the screen, and then turn on again the GPS when you turn on the screen. Because the GPS is turn off by the application at some point, the counter restart from zero.
If the option "Disable in background" is disabled, then the counter does not reset, it means that the application did not stop the GPS. So this is correct.

If you see that this number is stuck, it means that the GPS chip does not compute new locations anymore. In this case the application cannot do this, maybe this is because the GPS signal is lost (too weak), maybe this is due to a battery optimization done by the system. The application does not know and cannot do anything.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

But if you turn on the approximation of the notification or track record, everything is perfect...
In any case, it's not critical, just if I notice a strange - I write to you here in the forum ;)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes because in this case there is a notification displayed in the system status bar meaning that the application is not stopped but still make some work.
In this case it seems that the system is making less optimisations and leave the GPS working.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Hmm, is it possible to add a notification in the status bar for GPS positioning mode?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If the screen is OFF and if you're not recording the track, there is no point of using the GPS anyway. Why to compute a GPS position (very battery computing) if you are not reading it or recording it?
So at the end I find this optimisation made by the system quite intelligent.

In any case you turn off the scree and forget about it, if the GPS is not paused then it will consume all your battery until your device turn off. It's dangerous if you're outside and rely on your device for your path.

This is why by default the application turn off the GPS anyway when you turn off the screen.

Now if you want this, you must check in the system settings or contact the device manufacturer to ask help about this system optimisation.

And you have a workaround: record a track and delete it when you have finished, it will use as much battery anyway.
Ingensor

Re: [closed] Loss of GPS in the background

Post by Ingensor »

Yes, you are right, Android system blocks using GPS. I tested the app on Android 7, there is no such problem. Only 9 and 10 versions of Android GPS observables loss.
PS: for short trips would be good if the GPS is not lost. A long-distance and long-term campaigns can always enable the option "Disable in background", right? (otherwise it turns out, that switching off the option "Disable in background" does not work on Android 9 and 10)

It is necessary to Android 7 back))))))))))) :D
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [closed] Loss of GPS in the background

Yes this is why there is a setting, so the user can usually choose. But then it must disable at the system level...
On Android 8 it does work well too, the GPS is not turned off if you un-check "Disable in background".