The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Compass line bug ?

Something wrong? Report it here
boowoo

[fixed] Compass line bug ?

Post by boowoo »

Hello,

Please, see screenshot attached …
Screenshot_20191028_113730.png
(357.15 KiB) Downloaded 3504 times
I don't know if it's a bug or an OOM problem … i doubt because my phone is recent (Blackview BV9500 Plus)
This artefact happen sometimes (not always) when i display the compass line with exploration mode (inclination view).
It never happen with FOV and never in normal flat mode.
Have you any idea about this strange behaviour ?

Regards,
Sam
boowoo

Re: Compass line bug ?

Post by boowoo »

Edit :
I come back about my previous post after more tests …

In fact, seems that AQ works in "exploration mode" like using a picture bigger than in flat mode, so a compass line is displayed like "infinity" line (no end) with some memory problems
This behaviour could also affect the 4th circle of the ruler particulary when displayed in same time with the compass line in exploration mode.
After some tests playing with the inclination angle with two fingers i notice that the weird behaviour stop when the inclination angle is reduced a little.

My question :
Is it possible to add in settings a maximum inclination angle value defined by user that could solved completely this issue ?
Sam
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Sam and sorry for this problem.
I cannot reproduce it but the map inclination create a lot of drawing distorsions so for sure this can cause some display bugs.
I'll have a look again at how is drawn the heading line and see if I can change something.

Here is an user setting that can be used to reduce the maximum level of inclination:

Code: Select all

map.canvas.max_pitch_deg=35
The inclination value is in degree, by default 40.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,
No problem, don't be sorry, and thank you for the user setting ...
Works fine and solves the problem for me. Value 35 is enough in my case)
Regards,
Sam
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,
After one day test, I report that if i use in same time the compass line with the 4th ruler circle I have to set at 30° value inclination for fix the problem.
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello again,

OK, finaly, after searching more about this weird behaviour, i'm able to reproduce each time the bug. Maybe you could try this …

Scenario :
Select and display the compass line with the phone pointing to the North true in flat mode. The compass line is pointing normal to the top of the screen. Turn the phone around you on 360° rotation : all is normal, OK.
Now, do the same scenario but display the map with inclination … In my case, when the compass line is bearing to the bottom of the screen, the line jump suddenly to the top with artefacts (cf/ picture above)
Seems that AQ have problem to display in same time the compass line with inclination map because the line width is infinity enlarged (around South direction).

Question : is there any virtual lendth limitation for the compass line and how AQ manage this ? Is it possible to do something in this way ?

Regards,
Sam
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again and thanks for the additional information.
I couldn't reproduce the issue on my test devices, I really think that it depends on various factors (screen screen shot).

Anyway this is related to another request I've to work on, so I'll need to use another way to draw this heading line:
Currently, this line is not "infinite", but only goes just after where the screen ends. This is a problem when you want to look at your heading much more far on the map.
For example, if you activate the GPS location and compass at the same time, the heading line doesn't start from the screen center but from your current GPS location, and if you move the screen away from this location, you'll see that the heading line stops quite soon. I need to make sure that this line doesn't end, but at the same time handle the problems on some devices when drawing long lines...
screenshot.jpg
(36.01 KiB) Downloaded 3151 times
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Thanks for answer
I think you are not far of solution because i can't also reproduce the problem on my other older device BV6000.
On my new BV9500 Plus, I'm sure it's a bug because it happen exactly always when the line arrive at a precise position. This position depend of the inclination angle.
I've tried to share you the log about this (not sure you get it ?)
Maybe stupid question, but why compass line don't works like FOV ? No problem with FOV even if I use a very very big size ...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

There are so much differences between smartphones that unfortunately sometimes something works fine on one device and not on the other.
It's hard to know the exact cause, maybe the version of the graphic library that cannot correctly handle perspectives in some cases...
Anyway the only solution is to use another way of doing this same thing...
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:19 pm Anyway the only solution is to use another way of doing this same thing...
Any idea planned ?
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,
I've investigate more about this problem and I confirm that the bug happen each time exactly at 20° inclination and more. Never at 19 and less ...
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

More, if GPS arrow is on, the (level inclination bug) go down to 17° and in landscape mode it's more bad ...
Very weird and unusable function in this device.
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hi, and sorry for multiple posts about this issue but i want to share the most complete tests.
I notice that this behaviour don't happen when i select the rotation of the map with compass (with compass line fixed at top/north screen and big inclination 40°) in portrait or landscape mode.
It confirm after re-test, that the problem happen always when the compass line bear to the bottom of the screen/map !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello and … bad news !
I thought to test something more and i've found that the same bug affect also the GPS direction line with the same condition (inclination of the map and line bearing to the bottom of the screen … (screenshot attached)
GPS line bug.png
(254.24 KiB) Downloaded 2412 times
Seems really that AQ have problems to draw this sort of line at least on some devices.
Hope it could help to find a fix.
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

If i'm alone with this bug, is there anything i can do from my own side to try to fix this problem ?