The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Exception when attempting to create .gpx container

Something wrong? Report it here
photoleif

[fixed] Exception when attempting to create .gpx container

Post by photoleif »

Hi. I'm using Android 4.4.2, Kernel 3.4.0_ Build KOT49I.V41010d, and AlpineQuest 1.4.22 (registered / full). The device is a rooted LG G Pad 7.0 LTE (LG-V410).

I am wanting to use the landmark export feature, and when I have read/write/create access to a directory (that is, the + icon is active in the Explore landmarks menu), when I click the + icon, I receive an error that is very low contrast (aqua background, white text) and it disappears after about 1 second, but what I can make out of it reads:

Call: onClick
In: alo
throws Android.content.res.ResourcesNotFound Exception

Sorry, the capital letters probably aren't 100% correct, but it's probably close enough for you to recognize what's up. If you need me to find a log file for you, just let me know where to look.

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Exception when attempting to create .gpx container

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for this issue.
I'm even more sorry that this is a bug known for quite a long and not documented. It should have been fixed long time ago but I did not expect that the fixed version would take so much time to be ready.

A new method to create GPX/KML/CSV files has been included in the application and will become the only one available in the next version. The current (and broken) method consisting of creating empty GPX files and then filling them won't be available anymore.

So I invite you to use this new method:
- Create an empty "Landmark file" (and not an empty "GPX file");
- Fill it with any items you want (you can even create sub-folders);
- When you've done, long-press it, select "Export as", and choose "GPX file" (folders will be flattened and unsupported landmarks like areas will be ignored).
Your GPX file will be created in the "Exported landmarks" folder.

Let me know if you have any issue
Sorry again
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
photoleif

Post by photoleif »

Hi and thanks for clarifying. I appreciate your prompt response and candor on this. I'll give this a try.

Aside: I'm very careful with my landmarks and want to back them up, because the interface to them doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Sorry, could be me. I've had waypoints become added into containers I never specified for them to be added into, and noticed to my surprise that the 'remove all' function in the sub-menu for proximity alerts, simply removed all waypoints, period. The import function (say import a .gpx file) instead of converting them all to individual files, it converts to a container. It's fine that it does this, but it does make it very confusing where any specific waypoint actually is stored.

I guess I'm tending to reveal my ignorance of how this works, but a more file explorer-like interface to them would be very welcome -- specify a default where new ones are always stored, and at one's option, move or group some or all into other containers that are treated like folders. It appears to work this way under the surface, but again a couple tweaks to the interface to them, would make it far clearer.

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I agree that the current way it works if not very clear, I'm working on the next version which will be much improved.
The thing is that the application will save waypoints and other landmarks inside the currently browsed place of the Landmarks Explorer. And the list of available items in the "Create a landmark" does change depending on the place type (a folder, a GPX file, a track, etc), resulting in more confusion. This will be more simple in the next version, the application will save everything in the default landmarks folder.
Hope it helps
Best regards
eas

Post by eas »

photoleif, if it helps for backing up landmarks I simply zip up the landmarks folder from time to time then upload the zip file to a cloud account.
Handy for exporting all my landmarks to another device as well. I have to hide/unhide all displayed landmarks after a restore, but the method works.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
photoleif

Post by photoleif »

@eas, thanks for the suggestion. i've been backing mine up to a different computer and that tends to address my anxiety about losing all that work (in having made all those waypoints).

@psyberia-support: thank you for taking on the landmarks function and committing to simplifying how it works. my general issues stem from how capable the app is (i know...sounds fatuous but hear me out). what happens is i hit the landmarks button or simply want to make a landmark by long-pressing a displayed locality. i don't want to have to think about which container it's going to land in. i just want a landmark. obviously that's poor planning on my part, because i have to be very aware of which .gpx or landmark container it's going to go into, or i'll 'lose' it and not know how to find it.

i still like to have *categories* of landmarks, but i'd rather not have them stored in specific files, as in, a .gpx or other file. instead, having a single database with all of them in it, and categories one can optionally assign to them (which means, er, one new xml tag?)...that would be perfect for me. i don't claim that would suit everybody, so perhaps one could user-select whether there's 'simple' or 'advanced' landmark handling. i'd call the current (v. 1.4.22) approach as advanced, and my suggestion as 'simple'. if someone wants umpteen separate files, great. if one wants a single dumping ground, ok fine let them manage that their way instead.

thoughts? i hope that makes sense and might be worthy of your consideration.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It make sense, I completely agree that one should not care about those "technical" things when creating a simple waypoint...
By default, new waypoints (and other landmarks) will be created in a different place called "Unsorted landmarks". If needed, you'll be able to put your items somewhere else using a drop-down list, working a bit like a category.

Concerning the long-pressed, I think I'll have to add it... I don't like this because it's not precise at all (fingers are large...), I find the current way (moving the screen center icon over the location and pressing it) much more precise. But more and more users ask for it so I'll reconsider this.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It's now fixed with AlpineQuest 2.