The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Setting Off???

Something wrong? Report it here
geofactotem

Setting Off???

Post by geofactotem »

Hi Francois,

Using Version: 2.3.2

Before setting off, my current routine is to e-mail to my phone the file of placemarks that I require to display. I then download them to Local placemarks>Imported landmarks>PLACEMARK FILES
So far so good. I then tap to select display and this creates a set of waypoints as expected.

If I then select Displayed placemarks it is the file and not the set that is listed. A further tap is required to see the set.

When I did a similar sequence on 22nd May - 4th June (beta - to give you an idea of the version) the set appeared in the displayed list. As far as I can remember I did exactly the same things.
Obviously it is the set I would like to see displayed.

Also previously if you deleted the displayed set the file remained, now the both file and set are deleted.

Regards
David

ps out yesterday, discovered how easy it is to set a target to a placemark and how easy to use the custom button to remove it. This app is magic.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Setting Off???

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi David,
The behavior you describe is the intended one.
When you import a GPX or KML file (and most types of files), whatever the content is, the file is imported into a .ldk file. Inside this file you'll find all items that were in the file (one or more points, tracks, areas, routes, etc.)
After the import process, the application asks you if you want to display the file, of browse its content.
  • If you choose "Display", the whole file will be displayed (even if it only contains one single waypoint). The result will be that in the "Displayed placemarks" list, you'll see the file as displayed (you can click on it to display the content). If you delete the whole file from the map or the displayed maps list, it will be delete with all its content. If you delete some items (or all) from this file, the file itself is not deleted.
  • If you choose "Browse content", then you'll see the list of all items in the file, and you'll have the ability to display only one or few of them. For example, if you have one set in the file, you can tap the set and then tap "Display" (right/under the map preview). In this case the set will be listed in the "Displayed placemarks", and not the whole file (unless you choose to also display the whole from after taping "Browse content").
I hope it helps,
François
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Thanks François,
Having read that I think I have made the same mistake before sadly. I will leave a big note by my keyboard to remind me. It would appear that the key is choosing Browse (although the ultimate objective is Display).
As far as I can see there is no recovery from this if you want to display the set at the higher level. I can't think of alternative wording to make it clearer right now. (If you get it wrong you get 'jump to' instead).

Thanks again and I will do my best not to bother you with this again.
David
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi François,
Sadly this is not working as described: The first point is that the browse/display option only occurs the first time you import the file. If you delete the file with the intention of importing a more up to date version that option does not occur. Whilst far from perfect it is possible to overcome that by remembering to change the filename.

Furthermore whilst I have had some success I have two files where the browse does not work as described, the browse produces the screen as below where it can be seen that the preview screen is missing. I have opened FILE simply to show the source. I simply cannot get the Set to show in displayed placemarks. Too many waypoints or too big an area perhaps?

This is a sample of the output
NT&EH.jpg
(402.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have run out of ideas! Would you like me to email the data file to play with?
Regards
David
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi François,

Had a moment of inspiration and achieved what I wanted by a different route. And as a result understand the file structure a bit better, just a bit more to try.

Regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

When you import a file that have already been imported previously (same GPX file name of example), the application will ask you:
- Do you want to re-open the version that you have previously imported? Choose this if you forgot that you already has imported the file, and simply wan to open the already imported version.
or
- Do you want to re-import the file a new time? Choose this if you have updated your GPX file with new data and want to import a fresh version of this GPX file. It will import the GPX file in a newly imported file, it will not replace the file you've imported before, this way you don't loose any data if you made changes in the previously imported version.

In both case, the application will then ask you if you want to Display or Browse the imported file (either the previously imported version or the newly imported version depending on your answer to the previous question).

If you choose "Browse", you end up in the screenshot you've attached.
I can see you have imported a GPX file called "English_Eritage4.gpx", which as been imported in the application under the name "English_Eritage4.gpx.ldk".
Inside this GPX file, there is one unique "Set of waypoints", composed of 467 waypoints.
You can click "Display" (top/right) to display the whole file (same as if you answered to display the file content after import). In the "Displayed placemarks" list, you'll see the imported file "English_Eritage4.gpx.ldk".
Or first click on the "Set of waypoints 1" to open it (browse the content of this set), then click "Display" (top/right) to display this set and not the file. In the "Displayed placemarks" list, you'll see "Set of waypoints".
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi François,
Thanks for your patience, I think that this has run its course now. However I am a bit alarmed by your statement " It will import the GPX file in a newly imported file, it will not replace the file you've imported before, this way you don't loose any data if you made changes in the previously imported version." I would expect it to overwrite the already imported file with that name. Because of the way I work, it will not present a problem for me :) .

My version of the procedure is as follows:
1) Import the file to Imported landmarks>PLACEMARK FILES
2) Short tap on the dots to the right of the set name
3) Copy the set to Unsorted landmarks and select Display.
4) It then appears at the high level in Displayed placemarks
5) Rename from Set of waypoints to whatever

6) In due course delete the imported file and start again.

Regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

My point of view is that the application should never delete/overwrite user data by itself. When importing a new version of a GPX file, the application does not know if the previously imported file has been modified by the user.
Yes, your choice is to copy the waypoints set out of the file before displaying it, but it's unusual...