The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Cached Google Satellite layer - force refresh

Something wrong? Report it here
soika1978@gmail.com

Cached Google Satellite layer - force refresh

Post by soika1978@gmail.com »

Hello,
I noticed that there is a difference between what I see in Google Maps/Google Earth applications vs what I see OfflineMaps 3.8e, I tried to enable "Force update local data" and surf again over questioned area, but no changes. On another device OfflineMaps+ 3.5B (purchased/installed via Amazon apps) I tried to "clear data" via map layer browser, restarted the app, and I can clearly see how tiles are being downloaded (Smileys are appearing and disappearing quickly as I scroll over area and occupied size (Datafile size) in layer properties is being increased, but visually data is still older then the view available on Google native applications.

Shouldn't those be the same, i.e. offline_maps google sattelite layer and the one observed in Google maps/earth apps ?

Thank you,
Irakli
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Cached Google Satellite layer - force refresh

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Most of the time you should get the exact same images since the application uses the official Google imagery (from Google servers).
However some time it can be a small delay between the time a new imagery set is published (and available on Google maps) and the time the application is aware of it.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
soika1978@gmail.com

Post by soika1978@gmail.com »

Hi, got it thanks.
And when app awareness state is in sync with Google Imagery data, do I need to enforce tile download with "force update local data", or app will do it by itself as a i scroll over refreshed area ? Trying to understand "force update" setting mechanizm.

Thanks,
Irakli
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

When you display stored data that is more than one month old (for this specific map, but the delay varies), the application will check if there is a newer version online, this is done automatically (unless you've checked the "use only local storage" option).
To force the update before that one month delay, you can use the "Force update local data" option.

The data will then be updated to the latest imagery set the application is aware of. New imagery sets are published by google every few days, randomly, that's why the app may still be pointing to the previous set for some days.

I'm sure that if you force update the data now you'll get the same images.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !