The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Drop down, hierarchical, map layer edit menus

Any question about the app? Ask it here
TomK

Drop down, hierarchical, map layer edit menus

Post by TomK »

If one is frequently tweaking and experimenting with map layer edit options, such as opacity and layer blending mode, I think the option of having drop down hierarchical menus instead of opening the edit window on top and centre, would be much more productive and would not obscure so much of the screen covering the target map(s). Allowing an individual map layer edit menu to remain open while opening another layer menu would be an added plus, as it would allow for even quicker tweaks.

I have been fortunate enough to connect my new 8" tablet to a 30" monitor via Samsung Dex and do some playing around with map layers - there is no doubt that a larger screen assists in making such edits easier - but still, nested edit menus would speed things up considerably IMO. What are your thoughts?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Drop down, hierarchical, map layer edit menus

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi TomK and thank you for your suggestion,

Can you link an image describing more precisely what you have in mind?
The 'edit opacity' tool is just a slider, I don't see how something could less cover the map.

Please keep in mind that this app is a smartphone tool, not a professional GIS app :D
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
TomK

Post by TomK »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:12 pm Please keep in mind that this app is a smartphone tool, not a professional GIS app :D
Yes indeed, and I guess I'm not aware of what the limitations may be in the coding of my suggestion :roll:

I will be repeating much of what I had already stated, but visually elaborating a little more:

The concept I had in mind is much like you have coded for accessibility to your On-demand maps with a toggle arrow (down and up) that opens and closes the individual available maps directly below each of the map providers.
If you could also implement this method for the selected map layers to access the edit options (as expanding and collapsing menus), it would mean that the edit windows/menus could be contained either below the map area (portrait mode) or to the side (landscape mode), instead of in the centre of the screen, obscuring some of the visual feedback needed for the edit!

Just as you allow the expanded map providers folders to remain open with their available maps, you could do the same for the individual map layers edit options - so that it would be quicker to move from layer to layer for adjustments.
Getting individual layer attributes of such things as opacity and blending modes can require lots of adjustment to get right - so having less closing and reopening of separate edit windows would be cool!

I guess this type of feature is really getting into the area of GIS software, just as you said - but it sure would be great if at all achievable. :P
The limitations and obstacles you allude to, would of course be smartphone or tablet screen size - and that may be a major hinderance to any implementation.

If my idea is still not clear, I'll try and get to you a visual diagram of what I mean, once I get a bit of spare time.
Oh...and thanks so much for this great software!

Cheers Tom
TomK

Post by TomK »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:12 pm The 'edit opacity' tool is just a slider, I don't see how something could less cover the map.
I think I have made things a little confusing as you do already have some of the edit features (opacity and most color edits) displayed below the map or on the side (landscape mode) and not with some other color edits such as for Placemarks. But I can now see why you have decided to do this. Smartphones and tablets have limited screen space, and opening a large window, front and centre with many editable attributes showing at once has its advantages over scrolling a nested menu structure.
I think as a new user it can be a little confusing, but once you use the app more and more you probably get familiar with how and where to access things quickly.