The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Is it possible to receive point coordinates from another application to OfflineMaps?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Dmitriy

Is it possible to receive point coordinates from another application to OfflineMaps?

Post by Dmitriy »

Hi all!
I'm interested in the following possibility:

I have an application that receives the coordinates of an object over the network, periodically, once a second. Is it possible to transfer them to OfflineMaps, so that the map displays this point and also periodically updates the position. In parallel with this, I need my coordinates to be displayed on the map too.
If there is no such functionality yet, is it possible to add it somehow?

Ideally, I would like to be able to send a group of objects, with a choice of icons for each, with the ability to build tracks and receive additional information such as name, direction and altitude.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to receive point coordinates from another application to OfflineMaps?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes all this seems possible. There are various ways to send coordinates to OfflineMaps.
See the online help here: https://www.offline-maps.net/en/help/intents
Let me know if you need advice on a more specific point.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Dmitriy

Re: Is it possible to receive point coordinates from another application to OfflineMaps?

Post by Dmitriy »

Hi.
Thanks, this is what you need. But I have a few questions:
- I was unable to replace an existing point. I create points with the same MEM_ID or SET_ID, but they are not overwritten, new points are created each time. What am I doing wrong? I need to periodically change the position of one point.
- Is it possible to transfer several points at once?
- Is it possible to set the direction of the point?
- Is it possible to set the position of the center of the map to a point?
Thank you.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,

- If you want to replace the point, you must set the same intent extra string "net.psyberia.intent.extra.MEM_ID" each time. If you use "net.psyberia.intent.extra.SET_ID", all the points are added into a set of wapoints.
You can check or send me your logs (main menu -> more -> report errors), you should see "mem_id waypoint 'xxx' updated" or "new mem_id waypoint 'xxx' created";
- To transfert multiple points, you must send multiple intents, you cannot send multiple points in one intent;
- You cannot send a direction;
- If you use a MEM_ID or a SET_ID, the map won't move over the point, however without those params the point will be displayed and the map will move over it. I can add an extra to force the map to move over the point in all cases.
Dmitriy

Post by Dmitriy »

Hello, thanks for your answer and your product.
I have done everything I need to. It works, thanks.
But you're right, without the ability to move the map, this doesn't seem like a very good solution.
It would be better if we had a map move command.
Thanks
Dmitriy

Post by Dmitriy »

I also noticed the following feature of the program:
If I send a point several times with the same MEM_ID and different coordinates, it works well, the point changes position, but only until the program exits and the program is restarted, in which case a new point appears which also works well until exiting the program. At the same time, we see a copy of the point that is not move and has remained since the last launch of the program.
Is this the expected behavior?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I've made some improvements that will be available in the next update:
I've added the "MOVE_TO" extra (boolean), if set to true then the app will also move the map over the new location.
I've added the "HEADING" extra (double), to indicates the direction. It's not displayed on the map but in the location details.

Concerning the fact that when you restart the application the previous waypoint is not reused, it's because previous waypoints take some time to restore. So if you start the application with the location intent, all placemarks are still not restored and the app cannot reuse the previous one.
Two solutions are:
- Leave the app started (even in the background) when controling it with intents;
- Start the app with a first start app intent, wait one second or so, then sent the display location intent.