The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Arrows should be hidden or not?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

Arrows should be hidden or not?

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François

What happens if I stop moving? Does AQ displays arrows or it should hide it?
On my device it is all displayed
Move-.jpg
(401.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stop-.jpg
(403.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
But some 4pda users say arrows are hidden during a stop on their divices.

What is the correct behaviour?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Arrows should be hidden or not?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,
In the past the GPS direction was hidden when not moving, however someone pointed it's important to keep the last direction when you stop (I think you can find the discussion somewhere on the forum).
The reason is simple: when you drive then stop at a red light, you want that the view stay in the same direction. Otherwise each time you stop the view reset to the North.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

A little addition to my question. A discussion broke out on 4pda. It's not so much about the presence or absence of an arrow, but more about the fact that when you stop (there is no movement), the arrow begins to move randomly in different directions.

I quote (these are not my words):
the program does not detect a stop and takes small fluctuations of the determined coordinates for chaotic movement
Thus, filtering settings are needed. The better the reception of the GPS signal is, the less chaotic movement, and the less filtering level is required.
The worse the signal is received, the more serious filtering is needed so that immobility is defined precisely as immobility.

The choice of the filtering level should be left to the user based on the characteristics of the smartphone and some average-normal reception conditions.
Then the user will be able to set a certain minimum-necessary level of filtration so that immobility is defined as immobility, but slow movement is also acceptably detected.

Filtering settings with several degrees of this filtering allow you to tell the phone how to deal with small fluctuations in the defined coordinates. Of course, filters reduce sensitivity to small real movements, but the user will be able to establish some compromise acceptable to himself.
So adding filtering is a good solution.
Could you comment it?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
Honestly I think it's more about the devices (GPS chip accuracy) than the app.
With all my devices, when I stop moving and when the GPS accuracy is acceptable, I don't see the direction changing.
Of course, if the accuracy is bad, the GPS will try to recompute a better location that could be few meters away from the previous. How do you know if the previous location is an error or if the user did move in that direction?

However note than when you have both GPS and compass activated and when you stop moving, the application will start using the compass direction.
Maybe this is the problem the user has.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !