The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

OZI wpt placemarks import

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

OZI wpt placemarks import

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François!

Currently, in AlpineQuest, you can open a gpx placemark from any third-party file manager. Just click on a gpx file or something like that, and this file is imported into AlpineQuest. Is it possible to make a similar scheme for wpt files from OZI Explorer, that is, so that when you click on the wpt file of the placemark from OZI in any third-party file manager, this file gets to be imported into AlpineQuest?

Now the third-party file manager results in this:

OZI's wpt file can only be opened (imported) from the AlpineQuest application.

Thanks in advance.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: OZI wpt placemarks import

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,
Yes you're right.
I've just published a new beta version that should work fine when your open ozi .wpt from third party file managers.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

Thank you for the new beta. But OZI wpt seem to be not working from third party file managers. I tested 2 of them – Total Commander and X-plore File Manager.

Android 6.0.1
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok, I'll have a look at those file explorer.
It seems different for every other app :evil:
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Alex, can you make an error report from the application just after you see this error message?
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François. I have just done it.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thank you, I got it.
This is because you use Android <7.0. It should work fine for Android 7.0 and more actually (my main test device is on Android 8.0).
I'll make a fix for older Android versions, thanks for your report.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've just released a new beta, please let me know if it does work fine with it on your device.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

Everything is fine now, and OZI's wpt work perfectly from Total Commander and X-plore. Thank you very much.

I have a question that is not directly related to AlpineQuest, but concerns AlpineQuest.
Sometime not so long ago, when Android was still weak and WinMobile was strong, we used on devices OziExplorerCE. Russian is my native language, so I did the names and descriptions of the WPTs in Russian, in Cyrillic.
Now the all is ruled by Android, and its encoding is UTF-8. Placemarks from OZI made on WinMobile devices in Cyrillic are displayed on Android devices like this:

If you open an OZI wpt in a text editor on a PC, then everything is displayed correctly, the text editor uses the desired encoding

Code: Select all

OziExplorer Waypoint File Version 1.1
WGS 84
Reserved 2
magellan
-1,Паровоз,  59.961778,  31.029753,39929.2974421,  0, 1, 3,         0,     65535,26 апр 2009 11:08:19, 0, 0,    0,     46, 8, 0,17,0,10.0,2,,,
-1,Cинявинские высоты,  59.846202,  31.129310,39929.3961806,  0, 1, 3,         0,     65535,26 апр 2009 13:30:30, 0, 0,    0,    176, 8, 0,17,0,10.0,2,,,
1,Мемориал,  59.950235,  31.021956,39930.5056832,  0, 1, 3,         0,     65535,, 0, 0,    0,   -777, 8, 0,17,0,10.0,2,,,
You can edit this wpt on the device using any Notepad editor (clicable below):

Question - is it possible in AlpineQuest to provide for automatic encoding change for OZI wpt whose names are made in Cyrillic?
If so, it would be nice. If it's difficult, then, alas.... In this case I will keep on saving old wpts (with Cyrillic) on PC in UTF-8 before using on my device
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Alex,
I'm made some readings this afternoon about this but unfortunately it's too complicated to change the charset after the import.
In fact, the charset must be selected before opening the file, so it's only possible to completely re-import the file (not possible to convert it).

One solution I can imagine is to add an user setting to make the application always ask the charset when opening OZI files, even if you open the file from en external file manager.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François!
to add an user setting to make the application always ask the charset when opening OZI files, even if you open the file from en external file manager
It's better than nothing if there is no another easy way to do it.
Thanks!