The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

AlpineQuest beta 2.2.8.r6818

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

AlpineQuest beta 2.2.8.r6818

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François. Some questions about the new beta.

1. Added ability to create a quick waypoint as long press map action.

As far as I know there was an ability to add a quick waypoint before.
Main functional button → Options → + Custom item → Quick waypoint as a first item at the top of the list. Longpress the main functional button creates a quick waypoint.
Is there now another way to add quick waypoints?

2. Added ability to convert placemarks between types and to reverse paths.

I may convert either into Path (track) or Route, for example.
What is the difference between these both?
Usually a Route is "Create multiple waypoints on the map , managed all together and a Path is "Manually draw a path on the map". But after the conversion I see on the map more or less equal things.
alexlong

Re: AlpineQuest beta 2.2.8.r6818

Post by alexlong »

#1 OK, I see now. It is in the general settings.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex

#1: Yes it's from the main settings -> Long press map action. Some users requested the ability to create fast waypoints by long pressing the map.

#2: A route is made of a few waypoints that you enter manually one by one, when you plan.
A path is much more precise and is made of much more locations, you don't enter them one by one, you usually draw the path or record it (in this case it's called a "track" by the application).
It's just a matter of preference. The new feature simply allows you to convert between both of them.
Also, some GPS devices only accept routes, so in order to follow a path previously recorded, you need to convert it into a route.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

#1: Yes it's from the main settings -> Long press map action. Some users requested the ability to create fast waypoints by long pressing the map.
Thank you!

So now we have 4 actions:

☐ Display map only
☐ Map display resolution (+)
☐ Map display resolution (-)
☐ Quick waypoint

Imagine I apply the last one (I need to put a quick waypoint, it's a very good and helpful action) and also I want to see displayed "a map only".

☑ Display map only
☑ Quick waypoint

In this case every time I long-press the screen I get two actions which interfere with each other.

I can choose both "Display map only" and "Map display resolution" (+/-) and they won't interfere with each other:

☑ Display map only
☑ Map display resolution (+)
☐ Quick waypoint

or

☑ Display map only
☑ Map display resolution (-)
☐ Quick waypoint

But "Display map only" and "Quick waypoint" are different and give different actions. That what I mean.

Anyway the idea to put a quick waypoint by long-pressing the screen is GREAT! It's very helpful. Usually now I use the scheme "Custom item" and set a Quick waypoint as the first (upper) item in the list so I could long-press the main menu button and put a Quick waypoint. This method is good and it works but it takes some efforts and knowledges because users may not guess it can work like this and there are no instructions or hints (a kind of an "info" icon with a hint as it's done somewhere in the app settings).

Of course, long-pressing the screen to put a quick waypoint is more evident and simple but do you think some actions may interfere?

Thank you again for the continuous development of the applicatiion.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,

I see what you mean, but in some cases some users may like to have both actions at the same time. It's not like "Map display resolution (+)" and "Map display resolution (-)" where it's physically impossible to have both at the same time.

The "Display map only" and "Map display resolution (+)" action happen when you long press the map, the "Quick waypoint" is created when you release the map.
So we can imagine those settings:
☑ Display map only
☑ Map display resolution (+)
☑ Quick waypoint
You long press the map, all other items disappear and the map zoom in. Then you can move the map around to select the exact location where to put the quick waypoint, without having the other placemarks hiding the map. Then you release the map and the quick waypoint is created, the other placemarks are displayed again and the map zoom back.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !