The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Saving placemarks

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

Saving placemarks

Post by alexlong »

Hi and thanks for AQ!

A have a proposal.

Actial thing:

Create a placemark → by default the application offers the path for saving either in Unsorted landmarks or in My placemarks. In case there are some landmarks on the map I can see some additional folders in a small dropdown list.
If I want to save a new placemark in some OTHER folder I have to press Explore placemarks and then I have to make additional movements. Sometimes it is not obvious what to do. And it takes additional time for a simple action to save a placemark.

I propose to modify it.

Below are some pictures to explain.
Zombodroid28052020061943.jpg
(138.55 KiB) Downloaded 1721 times

Unsorted landmarks and My placemarks folders remain.
For the dropdown list the application uses folders from the Local Landmarks section (the landmarks main folder)
By default the application saves placemark into the last used folder.
If I want to save my placemark into another folder I just scroll the dropdown list and chose the necessary folder. Any other waypoints after are saved into this (the last) folder until I pick up onother one.
Quick waypoints are saved into Unsorted landmarks and My placemark by default (it depends).
Also an additional button should be displayed to add folders that are not in the main Landmarks section (eg. I keep some landmarks on the SD card in different folders).
It is also necessary to provide for the possibility to remove folders from the dropdown list either by longpressing on a folder or by another button (remove)

I think this way helps to save placemarks very fast and easily especiallly when to save a lot of placemarks in various folders in restricted conditions (bad weather, wet forest, high speed, bumpy road etc.)

I am ready for discussion about it.
alexlong

Re: Saving placemarks

Post by alexlong »

Hi. Up!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,
In the next update I'll add the list of folders in the Landmarks section.
However I'll not add the "create" new folder option, it's something you don't do regularly so when you do it you can made one extra click to open the Placemarks Explorer and create the new folder exactly where you want.
Note that you can also very simply create multiple "Landmark file" and display them. This way they are visible in the list at any time and you can select them very quickly.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.
Thank you very much. It works!

It seems to me that this option needs to be slightly corrected. The fact is that everything works fine until you put the Quick Waypoint. For example, I set the points, and they are saved in the folder "Folder", which I selected from the list. But if I put a Quick waypoint (it is put in the My Placemarks folder) and then continue to put "normal" points, the application “forgets” that the points were just saved in the “Folder” folder and they begin to be saved in the My Placemarks folder. That is, after I put a Quick waypoint, I need to re-choose where to save the points. It seems to me that this is not entirely correct.
Let the Quick waypoints be put in the "My Placemarks" section, and all "normal" points continue to be saved in their specified folders. That is, so that the application does not forget them.

Thanks for AQ!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You're right, "fast waypoint" should not change the last saved place. It will be corrected.

Edit: For the fast waypoints, I'm not sure if it's better to use the "Unsorted waypoints" folder, or the "Last saved folder"...
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

I will try to ask this question to 4pda users.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I'll use "Last saved folder".
This way you can create a first regular point in the folder/set you want, then only "fast waypoints" in this same folder if you want to go faster.
Just in case there will be an user setting to use the "Unsorted folder".
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

This way you can create a first regular point in the folder/set you want, then only "fast waypoints" in this same folder if you want to go faster.
And what about the second and other regular point? Where they are to be created in this case?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

When you create a regular waypoint, you can choose where to save it (default is the previous choice).
When you create a fast waypoint, it's automatically saved in the previous choice.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.
Thanks!
When you create a fast waypoint, it's automatically saved in the previous choice.
But what if I put the points in the folder I need, finished working with the application and turned it off. I no longer need this folder, that is, I mean that I will no longer save waypoints into it. After a while, I turn on AlpineQuest again, and I need to install the Quick waypoint. I do this, but the Quick waypoint is put in the previous folder, which I don’t need right now. What should I do?

I understand that it is difficult to find a solution that can satisfy everyone. What you offer is perhaps a compromise...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you no longer need a folder, then remove it from the display and it will not be used for the quick waypoint.

But as you sayd it's not possible to find a solution for everyone. This one is clear and simple.

And I have added an user setting for users that really only want to save quick waypoints in the "unsorter folder" (will be in next update):

Code: Select all

landmarks.creator.fastpoints.use_previous_place=0
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi,
Easiest way to organise placemarks for newcomers as well as long time users is???
1) pressholdswipe action on placemark in mapscreen leads to placemark organiser. This is set up largly as gallery is. Organising large numbers of images is what everybody knows. For placemarks it can be done just the same.
2) in placemarkorganiser press and hold the placemark and move it from the right side off the screen to the left side to the location off choice in the scrollable list. If colorcoding (userfriendly) in this list for the different locations is used then this would make life easier in bad weather with your phone wrapped in plastick, in sunny weather as well. Sort of the ultimate for any outdoor app to aim for.
2 not in the field but at home)
Select any number of placemarks. Press move. Select location in colorcoded list on left side of the screen.
To reorganise placemarks. Open location with placemarks. This is then shown on the right side of the screen. Start reorganising.
Hope this makes sense. If not just ignore.
Friendly greetings
Jos
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Jos and thanks for your suggestion.
There are some good ideas, but it so much work. Maybe in my old days I'll be able to rewrite the placemarks explorer :D
Note that placemarks are saved in regular files, so you can use any file manager to sort them. From version 2.2.8, when you rename a placemark, the underlying file is also renamed so its easier to organise the files.
Also, I have regularly improved the copy/paste ability for multiple items in the last version. I written an online help because a lot of users are not aware this is possible: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... iple_items