The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

To change placemark save and storage action

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

To change placemark save and storage action

Post by alexlong »

Thanks for AlpineQuest and for a feature to change the storage location of a placemark as it is created. I have a few wishes for this feature.

Now it is like this:
Create a placemark → Choose what I need (waypoint, picture waipoint, set etc.). By default a placemark is saved into Unsorted landmarks folder. I can change the storage place by Explore placemarks command.
But the application does not remember the last save location and as soon as I create another placemark I have to re-select the save location. It seems to me that this is not quite correct and irrational, as it forces the user to do a lot of unnecessary actions to save placemarks.

Wish-1
While creating and saving placemarks the application should remember the last selected folder and the new placemarks should be saved into the last selected folder. If users need to save placemarks into another folder they can always do it manually by seleting the required folder. The main ideas is to eliminate unnecessary actions and make and save placemarks very fast. It is very important.

Wish-2
Quick waypoints should always be saved in the Unsorted landmarks folder.

Wish-3
While saving placemarks user should have the current folder history. Users should have a choice by either to save placemarks in the current folder or select something else from the current folder history.

I have to press Explore placemarks to choose where I save a placemark. To my mind the phrase "Explore placemarks" is not quite proper in this case. I think it is better call this action "Explore a place", "Choose a place" or "Select a folder" or a kind of this because users find a place where to store a placemark but not to explore placemarks.
Wish-4
Substitute Explore placemarks for someting else.

If I create a placemark using the "Create a placemark" command, I have a choice of what exactly I should create. For example, I press "Waypoint" and I create a Waypoint, I press "Path" and I create a Path and so on. Everything is correct and everything is logical. I create and save a placemark in the desired folder (see my comments above). But something seems to me wrong and illogical when I create just a Waypoint or a Picture waypoint. To do this, I use a "Create a placemark" menu and press Create Waypoint or Create Picture waypoint icon. I am sure I create just a Waypoint or just a Picture waypoint and the application should save just a Waypoint or just a Picture waypoint in the desired folder immediately (I can also choose it manually or from the history list). But AlpineQuest offers me a list to select what kind of placeamark I have to make and then to save it. It does not look logical because I have just selected what I want to have – just a Waypoint or just a Picture by pressing an icon on the right of the "Create a placemark" menu.
Wish-5
Exclude unnecessary actions when creating just a Waypoint or just a Picture waypoint using the icons in the "Create a placemark" menu. Waypoints or Picture waypoints should be saved into the desired folder automatically right after they are created.

N.B.
A wish from one 4pda Russian forum user
I would like to see a drop-down list of folders in the Edit details (of a placemark) window to move waypoints between folders right in Edit details menu.
Besides, it would be good to change waypoint properties in a group or from the selected list in the Unsorted landmarks folder but not one by one. to delete or move the waypoint to the other folders
Thanks a lot for AlpineQuest.
alexlong

Re: To change placemark save and storage action

Post by alexlong »

Attachments
Waypoints.jpg
(144.14 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: To change placemark save and storage action

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex, sorry for the long delay!

I close this topic because almost everything as been done since:
- Wish 1,2,3 have been made.
- Wish 4 is just a matter of text, for me "Explore placemark" does make sense since this action simply opens the placemarks explorer. It's not a "chooser" like you have in PC, there is no such thing on Android.
- Wish 5, this is the difference between "Waypoint" and "Fast waypoint". If you choose "Waypoint", you can still enter a name, icon, colors, etc., or simply press Ok to ignore this step.

Some other things have been done following this request: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4592&p=13097#p12938
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !