The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Just want to refresh a FEW tiles

Any question about the app? Ask it here
jidanni

Just want to refresh a FEW tiles

Post by jidanni »

Let's say yesterday I cached some bad tiles.
Now today, good tiles are available on the server.
Do I have to:
  • Throw away 10000s of other good tiles, to refresh the entire layer, just to refresh those few tiles? Or
  • Wait the four months for those few bad tiles to expire?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Just want to refresh a FEW tiles

Post by Psyberia-Support »

You can update a part of the map as explained in the online help here: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... a_map_area
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Ah, but that presupposes a rectangular area.

Let's say our user "JONES", has, just like a beagle with his nose to the ground, swept up many tiles at highest resolution along his section of Highway 8 (We note HY 8 is not exactly east-west, nor north-south.)

That was last week and he has now intensely edited OSM and would like to refresh large portions of those tiles.

All he wants to do is sweep up new tiles, just like he did in the first place.

As the standard expiry period has not elapsed, sweeping again will get him nothing.

If he used the rectangle refresh approach it would take hours, and fill his cell phone up with useless high resolution tiles of irrelevant mountains.

Therefore what is simply needed is perhaps a small "Refresh mode" icon. (Perhaps just use the standard looped arrow, as seen in browsers' refresh button: U+21BB CLOCKWISE OPEN CIRCLE ARROW "↻" )

Have it somewhere near the edge of the screen, when in online mode. Or deep in the menus, OK too.

When the user taps it, it becomes red and pulsating, meaning "activated".

The user can then simply sweep along the road like he originally did, vacuuming up fresh tiles from the server.

When he is finished he taps it again, deactivating it.

Or if he forgets, I suppose you can deactivate it when closing the app...

Anyway, as you can see this would be very easy to implement probably.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've finally found a suitable solution for this: in the "Displayed maps" list, you'll be able to long press the map you want to refresh and check "Force update local data". It will force the app to request to the map server a new version of all parts displayed from then on, discarding the usual update delay.
This will be available in the next update.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Hmm, sounds good.
Maybe also change the red, (yellow), and green colored status square "piles" for the layer in question also somewhat, to remind the user that he has the box checked, so he will at least notice offline and on slower connections.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Let's see: red will still stay red. (Future) yellow will still be yellow. But green should also now become yellow. But perhaps use orange not yellow for that, to indicate "forced update pending."
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Users will have to remember it.
Anyway it's reseted to off when you restart the app or remove the map.
I need to go onto something else now.