The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Radius ruler

Any question about the app? Ask it here
boowoo

Re: Radius ruler

Post by boowoo »

Hello,

I made some tests with different maps without problems with the ruler (see screenshots). :)
Ruler2.png
(354.36 KiB) Downloaded 3044 times
For me, i notice just that the ruler is displayed generaly better for maps with a high zoom level.
Problem begin for maps with lower zoom level, but it's normal behaviour because the maps are more saturated by too many annoying maps details (like Alex map)
So, for me, the problem come from the map and not from the ruler and i think that for these sort of maps it's better to use the ruler with minimum configuration for better visibility !
Your feeling ?
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Maybe the problem will go away if apply general settings for radius ruler as I wrote in this topic before?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3690#p10461
Just add SIZE section.
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

alexlong wrote:Just add SIZE section.
Or buy new glasses … ;)
Yes, maybe you're right. Dev opinion ?
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Regular option for radius ruler would be good. If I use AlpineQuest with radius ruler at home planning routes etc. it does not really matter and I always can see the data on the map - distance, bearing and so on either it is well displayed or not. But imagine you are on the boat fishing and trying to have a look at the screen or hiking, or something like that when you don't have time and chance to look at the screen properly. Don't you forget that it very much depends on devices and maps displayed. So I would better "tuned" radius ruler values (line colour, line width, text size and other properties) individually any time I need depending on the situation.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

I spent this weekend on the water testing the app. While moving it is quite difficult to understand the data on the screen, especially when the sun is shining on the screen, the boat is jumping on the waves and I physically can not look at the screen for a long time. In my understanding, the data should be visible and understandable immediately as soon as I look at the screen. For this it would be good to change the parameters on the fly through regular settings, depending on the situation and the installed map. All that is well visible in perfect conditions, not really working well in real conditions. I think that when moving in the forest, in the mountains and so on the situation will be exactly the same. It would be good to make regular settings for radius ruler, and then everyone will be able to configure it according to the need and the current situation.

Below are three screenshots. The first two pictures were taken at standard settings. The last picture was taken at the settings of the user settings file, where I increased the size of the line, font, changed the color and highlighted the labels in bold.
Everything looks OK on the screenshots but on the devise in real life it's not so good. With standard settings, it was quite difficult to understand and see radius ruler data on the screen, especially in motion. When I changed the settings everything was already much better. I take a quick look at the screen and everything is visible at once, I do not need to look and try to understand what is written there.
Attachments
Moving.jpg
(69.46 KiB) Downloaded 2996 times
Stopped_stand.jpg
(65.8 KiB) Downloaded 2996 times
Stopped_change.jpg
(69.95 KiB) Downloaded 2996 times
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Thanks a lot for radius ruler. Wouldn’t it be redundant to add a few more circles? That is, size 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for example?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,
No problem I'll add more settings.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

So I've made those changes:
- Add a new setting for the size of lines and text: small / medium / big. Small is the current one;
- Medium and Big sizes use bold text;
- I've added a setting for a forth circle.

For the color, it will still be an user setting just like the current location. This is not something you have to change often and 6 settings just for the ruler is enough.
This way you can have the GPS location in BLACK, and the ruler in BLUE, just like the opposite I chose...
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Waiting for update?
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,

For radius ruler, with users settings, i'm just able to change text style but not text size, ruler color, ruler width. I don't know what i'm doing wrong ? :(
I tryed many things but without success.
Could you share some examples different than default settings for test ?
Thank you very much.
Sam
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've published a new beta.
Alex, I can increase or decrease the sizes for 'medium' and 'big' if you want.
Sam, here is an example:

Code: Select all

map.canvas.radius_ruler.width_dp=1.5
map.canvas.radius_ruler.color=#0000FF
map.canvas.radius_ruler.text_size_dp=14
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,
Thank you, i had some annoying # at the wrong place ... Solved !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

I got beta. I asked 4pda users to test it in various situations in various maps with all 3 sizes.
To my mind it wouldn't be bad to add one more size –Very big. I tested it with "map.canvas.radius_ruler.text_size_dp=14" and more. Looks good. But in my device 5.7''.

Coluld you please tell me which size now corresponds to parameter "map.canvas.radius_ruler.text_size_dp="?
Small =
Medium =
Big =
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

I didn't got beta ... :( I don't know why ?
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Finaly, i just got beta now !
Works fine with various settings on my 5.6".

I'm not fan about the North item (shown inside the first circle = weird because others are outside)
I've attached a picture to propose an other idea … Your feeling ?
single_1565984604454.png
(229.43 KiB) Downloaded 2832 times