The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Is it possible to change the app's language?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
cinooco

[closed] Is it possible to change the app's language?

Post by cinooco »

I'm using both AQ & OM in my Android Phone and thank you for those wonderful apps!

First, I'm afraid the translation of the apps in my native language is not that satisfactory and even misleading.
I know those app settings including language are mostly dependent on the Phone setting.
Is it possible to manually change it to English?

Second, I understand those two apps are based on the same logic, if so can those resources(cashed maps, landmarks, etc) be shared without having to separately maintain near identical resources in both apps?

Regards.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to change the app's language?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

Yes you can change the language independently from the device language using the user setting:

Code: Select all

core.locale=xx
Replace "xx" with your language code. May I ask you what is your native language?

For your second question, even if the apps will store data the same way (AQ is build over OM), there is no option for this.
For the landmarks, it's possible since both apps will let yo save and load landmarks from any folder (not just the application folder, just use the left menu of landmarks explorer to browse any folder).
For the maps, it will be difficult. Maybe, depending on your filesystem, you may create a simlink from "/OfflineMaps/" to "alpinequest" or vice versa to trick the apps and use the same folder, but I never tested so be careful and backup all important data...

Hope it helps
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
cinooco

Post by cinooco »

Hi,

I'm from where the 2018 Winter Olympic games were just held, yeah you got it, South Korea!

Anyway with the use of user setting, It's quite better now^^
For the second part, never mind! I'm not gonna use them both, just trying them out to decide which one better suits my needs.
AQ is my choice and purchased it from Google playstore yesterday.

The main purpose of this app is for my smart watch, and I'm doing some experiments on it.
Of course, there are some glitches due to the restriction of the screen size, but it's quite satisfactory so far.(See the attached)
I'd like to make some suggestions after summing up the results one of these days and hope you could take them into account in the future updates.

Best regards!
Attachments
img2.jpg
(100.12 KiB) Downloaded 1723 times
img1.jpg
(84.96 KiB) Downloaded 1723 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok, thanks for your feedback and support.
I still don't have a smartwatch myself so unfortunately I cannot make a great support, but it's planned.
Don't hesitate to share suggestions.
Best regards
pHneutral

Re: [closed] Is it possible to change the app's language?

Post by pHneutral »

Hi there,

Unfortunately I am not able to change the language of Google maps (added manually via 'suggest' http://maps.google.com), to English descriptions of roads, etc. I'm trying to do this for Ukraine, but it keeps using cyrillic. Any way I can change this? Thanks. :)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

By default the Google map should always show the latin version of the names in addition to the local name (especially true for areas using Cyrillic).
If you go in the google maps website you also have both versions displayed. Do you confirm this?
pHneutral

Post by pHneutral »

Thanks for your reply.
On my pc, in the browser, it does, yes. On Google maps on my phone as well. in Aplinequest, unfortunately only cyrillic, unless I select localized English, but then I lose the ability to cache Google maps for offline use, as I added Google Maps via the 'suggest' option. But I happen to just have asked for a solution for this already here (post yet to be approved and answered):
viewtopic.php?p=14731#p14731
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've updated the main Google maps, please suggest the map again.
pHneutral

Post by pHneutral »

It worked! Thanks so much! 😊
pHneutral

Post by pHneutral »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:30 pm I've updated the main Google maps, please suggest the map again.
Unfortunately I have the same issue with Openstreetmaps. It doesn't show in English/Worldwide language. Any suggestion how I can get a worldwide English version of Openstreetmaps in Alpinequest? Thanks! 😊🙏🏻
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

OpenStreetMap does not have all the names translated in English, as far as I know the official OSM website does only provide one version of the map.
So the app will display the exact same map as the OSM website: https://www.openstreetmap.org/
pHneutral

Post by pHneutral »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am OpenStreetMap does not have all the names translated in English, as far as I know the official OSM website does only provide one version of the map.
So the app will display the exact same map as the OSM website: https://www.openstreetmap.org/
You're right, via the website I only see local language. On another app however, that also uses OSM, I see English names.. Hmm.. I suppose they have a way of implementing English names themselves in the app...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Some apps use the OSM data and not the OSM map as it is on the website, maybe this is why there are some differences.