The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] bluetooth gps antenna

Any question about the app? Ask it here
dags1972

[closed] bluetooth gps antenna

Post by dags1972 »

Hi

is possibile to connect my samsung galaxy with alpine quest to my bluetooth gps antenna ?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: bluetooth gps antenna

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
We never tested external GPS, but it seems that the Android Platform doesn't recognize them automatically as location providers, thought should be not work with AlpineQuest.
You should simply try with the free version:
- Activate your external GPS;
- Start AlpineQuest;
- Open the geolocation dialog (top-left dialog);
- Click on it to open the geolocation settings dialog;
- Click on the first spinner that lists available location providers.
Let me know.
I'll see how much work it is to add this feature.
Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

hi alpine i have the pro version

in geolocation i have

auto
gps
network
dags1972

Post by dags1972 »

hi ...

with gps bluetooth mouse... hiking works well well well well well... :-)
ukuest

Post by ukuest »

Works well on my Galaxy S too!

But I had to do 2 things after pairing my bluetooth mouse (iBlue 747) with my phone:

1. Turn on "Allow mock locations" under Settings-Development (in German it is called "Pseudostandorte zulassen")
2. Install the app "Bluetooth GPS Mouse" from market and run it.

Then in AlpineQuest under GPS location providers, use "passive".

I have not tried it out on an actual hiking tour yet, but I hope it will help save battery on my Galaxy.

Re: bluetooth gps antenna /module

Post by Guest »

Follow-up on my previous post:

Tried it out for track recording. Big disappointment: the Bluetooth connection uses MUCH more battery than the internal GPS on my Galaxy S.
Recording a track with the external BT GPS module uses 25% battery in one hour (!), whereas recording a track with built-in GPS uses 5% battery per hour (even at 1 fix / 1 sec).

Tried it with two different GPS modules (iBlue 747, Nokia LD-3W). Both work well in principle, but same high battery consumption.

This may be a peculiarity of the Bluetooth implementation on the Galaxy S.
Maybe you get different results on a different phone.

Re: bluetooth gps antenna /module

Post by Guest »

Correction to my previous post:
The high battery consumption of Bluetooth connection to GPS mouse turns out to be a software setting problem. In the app "Bluetooth GPS Mouse" (see higher up in this thread) under Options you must tick "Use alternative connection method" - then the power consumption of track recording with AlpineQuest is at least not higher than with the internal GPS. (I wonder why this is called the "alternative method" when it is so much more efficient?).

I have not tested it long enough to see whether it will actually save battery over internal GPS.

But at least, it turns out that using an external GPS mouse with AlpineQuest is working without negative side effects!

It means that you can take photographs with your Galaxy S while recording a track without your track making funny squiggles if you touch the phone in the wrong place (which happens with internal GPS).