The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Add own data / legend to a map

Any question about the app? Ask it here
RambleJoy

Re: Add own data / legend to a map

Post by RambleJoy »

The fantastic group of enthusiastic users all contributing information and ideas on this forum is one thing that makes AlpineQuest so great 8-)

Just wanted to say that I - for one - take great inspiration from all of you.

And also that I agree about the legend/key idea. I keep them in separate files too, which is very fiddly to juggle.

And also that boowoo's rainviewer layer is genius!

Temperature would also be useful, like this, if available somehow, since the WeatherUnderground PWS network is so cumbersome to access these days.
Hubiug

Post by Hubiug »

Hi, sorry for the OffTopic, but using the RainViewer maps like this is so cool !!
Has anyone found a way to add the "Satellite" RainViewer layer in AlpineQuest ? I tried, but the time encoding for this layer isn't the same as one used for the radar layer... (ex: Satellite t = f6dadb50f327, Radar, t = 1655967600)
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hi all,

I'm quite sure that the AlpineQuest Dev seeing this topic could integrate some météo maps/layers (RainViewer, temperature, clouds, windy, etc ...) in the AQ map list.
François ... if you read this topic ... 😉
RambleJoy

Post by RambleJoy »

Well, it might not justify Dev time specifically to investigate meteorological map sources, access details etc. from scratch, since that could take a while and AQ isn't a weather app as such; but the fact that it's possible is pretty cool. The information is definitely an important layer for outdoor activities.
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

What I think is that what's easy for the Dev is often not possible for most of AlpineQuest users.
If some of the basic météo informations was available in AQ it should be very useful for outdoors activities maps : I'm agree on this point. 😉
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Sorry for the delay, thank you all for your contributions!
Here is my rainviewer layers file. If you display all the layers at the same time over any base map (google, osm), then open the "displayed maps" list, long press any map and select "Compare...", then "Ok", you'll be able to have a basic animation when moving the (time) slider.
I agree that weather information is very important, however some factors prevent me to officially add weather data into the app. The main reason is that the weather can change rapidly, especially in mountain, so the weather data must be kept up to date, and it can be dangerous to use obsolete cached weather data. And as soon as you have internet access, you'll be able to use various weather apps that will do a better job, and keep you safer... I know it's tempting to have everything in the same app, but if it's done to the detriment of accuracy and security, it may not be the best option.
But I'll try to improve the handling of such maps, maybe try to add an auto-update ability in the background (right now maps are only updated on display).
Attachments
Rainviewer_00-120.aqx
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Thank you very much. Great !
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi François,
I see your points about weather in A.Q. But, living in Holland, I saw the rainclouds closing in from the Northsea today with the help of rainviewer.
So thanks for this small bite of weather. By the way; I think every weather app will always need a serious disclaimer for use in the alps, the weather being so treacherous.
Friendly greetings
Jos