The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Autoroute: how to add segments

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Fede

Autoroute: how to add segments

Post by Fede »

Hello to the forum and the developers, new user here :)

First things first: compliments to the developers. The fact alone that you app is present on the market for more than 10 years speaks volume of your commitment to it and its users. THANKS!

I'm writing to ask what looks to me as a straight forward question, but I couldn't find how to do this neither by looking into the manuals, nor by searching the forum, nor by just fiddling with the app.
I created an autoroute for a hiking and now I would like to add further segments to it. I'm not talking about modifying the route by inserting segments within it. I just want to append further segments after the last one.
To my mind this should be a pretty much standard function, as for long hikes you won't be able to click through the map in one go.
To my dismay I could not find any way of doing this.
A "work around" that I used (with mixed success...) is to group routes created separately, by manually starting the new segment to be appended near where the old segment finished, but I could not find a way to tell the app the order in which I'd like the autoroute tracks to be joined, thus resulting in a "merged" track with incorrect length, Delta-elevation and so on.
Am I missing something or is this feature not present? (will it be implemented?)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Federico

PS: By the way, my original approach was to set the waypoints on the map first and then join them using the "autoroute" function, but this does not seem possible.

---
Using AlpineQuest 2.3.1 - 2022.04.09 on Android 12 on Samsung S10plus
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Autoroute: how to add segments

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Fede and thank you for your support,

You should be able to add more segments like this: tap your autorouting on the map, on its name and in the menu choose "Edit points", and toggle the autorouting mode using the button 11 10 here: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... raw_a_path
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Fede

Post by Fede »

Hello Support Team,

thanks, it works. I don't know how I could have missed it.
(PS for future readers: I think the button in the given link is number 10, not 11)

Is there a way to use the other method as well (mark the waypoints first, then join them through autoroute)?

Thanks again
Fede
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

I am confused, I assumed that Autoroute refers to roads but surely Fede is not using it for that. After further research I found 'transportation mode' but in my case it only shows car or draw. At first I thought is must be a UK limitation but then I remembered that other UK mapping software will autoroute on paths (not always exactly what you want or expect) so am I doing something wrong? (Tried with file-based and installed mapping, it does create a road route).
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Fede,
Using your method of merging separate auto-routes, a way to specify the order would be to copy/paste additional routings into the first one in the order to want, instead of using the "group all" function.
Concerning the method of first creating the waypoints, then make the app auto-routing them all, no sorry it's not possible.

David,
Yes you can also use the auto-routing on trails, you need to set the transportation mode to "walking".
If you only have "Car" and "Draw", it means you have forced the "OSRM routing service" which only provides car routing. In the auto-routing view, tap on the wheel icon (left of the close button), and select "Automatic selection" to have all choices.
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

"If you only have "Car" and "Draw", it means you have forced the "OSRM routing service" which only provides car routing. In the auto-routing view, tap on the wheel icon (left of the close button), and select "Automatic selection" to have all choices."

Perfect thank you
Fede2

Post by Fede2 »

Thanks for the further reply.
Maybe you want to consider:
Psyberia-Support wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am [CUT] the method of first creating the waypoints, then make the app auto-routing them all [CUT]
as a feature request :) to be implemented if you think it will fit in the app interface "philosophy"

Thanks again for a great software
Fede
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The drawback of this method is that you cannot validate or choose a different path, if all the routings are made at the same time...
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi all,
Maybe a bit off topic. About autorouting i wander why there aren't a lot of users pointing at Brouter. It is in the request list for a long time. There are only a few apps using offline autorouting. Some off the comments on one of the forums sugest it is verry powerfull. Users choosing it over online autorouting. My quess is that from a hiker/biker perspective it is thé big one on the request list. Right now i am halfway a 4 weeks biking holliday.
A.Q. is perfect, there are no wishes left, only perhaps little things too perfect, except for offline autorouting.
Friendly greetings
Jos
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Jos,
I've published a new beta (2.3.2.r7776) with a surprise for you ;)
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi François,
Just had a quick look.
Ofcourse there are some questions since it is not easy but most of all wow. Thanks for this great new feature. Allready made some routes starting from a good map into an area where i had no map downloaded and then back to the map, then checking through downloading the missing maparea if the routes made any sense. They do. This must be a great tool for anybody doing long distance hiking/biking. It gets you out of trouble when you have to detour without good enough maptiles.
Thanks
Friendly greetings Jos
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Am I understanding this new feature correctly??

I think it is saying that I can import a series of freestanding waypoints/placemarks (presumably in a set) and then as if by magic I can create a (linear) route. If this is the case can you point to the help please. If not I cannot see how this is different to autorouting a path. (i am assuming you need to be on-line for this and the underlying software uses its own mapping support? Or is this only by invoking Brouter that I have never heard of but which I think is an off-line alternate routing app which you need to have installed on your phone?)

An idiots guide would be useful.
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi,
Yes an idiot guide would be a thing to dream of.
I, as of yet, have not found it.
First: Go to the appstore to find BRouter. Before installing, do read the comments on this app. Forget the comments from people who don't understand. Install then open go to download display, mark a square of the area you are in. Close, then open A.Q., tools>autorouting>setting wheel>A.Q. recognises BRouter.
Now you have open and start playing and trying the several displays of BRouter. It will get you a profile for Bicycle (the first because the developer is a keen biker), for walking, for driving a car (in developement as far as i understand) now turn of wifi/any connection, open A.Q. autorouting (normal) it then says it needs connection, select BRouter start trying to get it to produce a route on a only soso map, not a high zoomlevel (ofcourse in the quadrant you downloaded). If it gives a route not a straight line, turn on wifi download the map in a higher zoomlevel, see if it makes sense.
For the most part i am in the dark too on how to use this tool. This was my first try out. Have fun. Perhaps reading the text in the appstore also helps a bit but it is far from a idiots guide. From reading comments in the appstore and on one off the forums of one of the few mapping apps that use BRouter i get the impression it is high value software, not easy for the user though but definitly worth the effort.
Friendly greetings Jos
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi,
https://github.com/poutnikl/Brouter-profiles/wiki

Far from a idiots guide. Start with the glossary. By the looks of it this nem feature is a study.
Friendly greetings Jos
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Jos,
I've just updated the online help on how to use BRouter with the application: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... ne_service