The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

"Display previous locations"

Any question about the app? Ask it here
abarabas

"Display previous locations"

Post by abarabas »

Can the "Display previous locations" setting display locations from before the phone's screen was turned off?
I.e. I open the app and see my location, turn my phone screen off and move, then open the app again and see that previous location along with my current location.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: "Display previous locations"

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Be sure to un-check the setting "Disable in background" in the "Positioning" section.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
abarabas

Post by abarabas »

Ah ok, I understand. Thank you.

Background positioning would continuously use battery, correct?
It would be a nice feature for past locations to be remembered even without the background positioning. Eg log the location data while the app is active and save/display them the next time you open the app.

Separately, it would be nice for these extra location points to be included onto the Track Recorder data as well.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It's not background positioning, it's just that if you want your location to be recorded, the GPS needs to be active.
The track recorder does exactly this, it records the previous locations.
abarabas

Post by abarabas »

So when "Disable in background" is unchecked:
- does the app use battery to update the location/connect to GPS while the screen is off? If so, then how often does it poll?
- or is it just keeping the previous locations in stored memory?

I might have misunderstood the settings.

I basically want to record where I've been, while using the minimum amount of battery.

My ideal behavior would be:
- when the screen is off or AlpineQuest is in the background
  • Don't connect to GPS
  • if Track Recorder is active, then connect to GPS at the set time interval and record that position to a list, let's say "List A"
- when AlpineQuest is open, screen is on, Real-time position is active
  • connect to GPS, update location, also save that location to List A
  • display List A as points or a line
  • allow user to save/edit/clear List A
Is there a combination of settings that can get this behavior?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Just keep the setting "Disable in background" checked (the default value) and it will work like your ideal behavior.

As written in the description of this settings, it does not apply to the track recorder. So when the track recorder is active, it will still use the GPS when needed, even is the setting is checked.
So when "Disable in background" is unchecked:
If the GPS location display is turned on in the app, and the screen is turned off, then the GPS is not turned off automatically. It will still run and obviously use some battery.
This way when you turn the screen on again, your real-time location will be immediately available and accurate, whereas if the GPS is turned off and on, it may need a few seconds to recompute an updated location.