The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Why is elevation an in-app purchass in OfflineMaps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Alain Spineux

Why is elevation an in-app purchass in OfflineMaps

Post by Alain Spineux »

Hello

This discussing is more about getting a better experience to OfflineMaps user than to save me some $.

I have AlpineQuest on my phone that I use on the field and use OfflineMaps on all my other devices to simply display the maps or even prepare my next hikes because the screen of my tablet is way bigger and comfortable.
The elevation is mandatory for planing a route in the mountains, this is probably why this purchase can generate some money!

From a commercial point of view, if an extra feature don't generate any money it is better to offer it for free and give you user a better experience.

Here are the questions:

An AlpineQuest license should allow the owner to run the software on multiple devices, 3 or 5.
The elevation should be in the core of OfflineMap
The elevation license for OfflineMaps should allow the owner to run the software on multiple devices, 3 or 5.

I don't need an answer as all of these are strategic, but I hope you would take the best decision for you, your user and your users.

Regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Why is elevation an in-app purchass in OfflineMaps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alain,
An AlpineQuest license should allow the owner to run the software on multiple devices, 3 or 5.
It already the case. One license allows the app to be installed on any number of devices (that share the same Google account).
The elevation should be in the core of OfflineMap
OfflineMaps is a free app.
Hosting, maintaining, and making available at high speed GB's of elevation data costs time and money (following the recent coverage of Sweden, Norway and Finland, this storage consists of more than 1.45 million files now).
Both are not compatible...
The elevation license for OfflineMaps should allow the owner to run the software on multiple devices, 3 or 5.
It already the case, just like the AlpineQuest license.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Alain Spineux

Re: Why is elevation an in-app purchass in OfflineMaps

Post by Alain Spineux »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:06 pm It already the case. One license allows the app to be installed on any number of devices (that share the same Google account).
I'm sorry, I was sure that there was a procedure to transfer the license from one device to another, and that this could take multiple hours. This apply probably to another product.
I was wrong.
I'm very happy of your license model.
I thing it's better when the work is remunerated.

I'll come with more questions and feature request :-)

Thank you