The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] (suggestion) center dialogs above on-screen keyboard

Any question about the app? Ask it here
theksmith

[closed] (suggestion) center dialogs above on-screen keyboard

Post by theksmith »

suggestion for UI improvement in AQ...

when i use AQ in portrait orientation on my tablet or my phone, my on-screen keyboard covers a portion of most dialog boxes (pop-up windows). this is especially frustrating on the "Create waypoint" dialog since i often need to make use of the other buttons/options which are covered.

it would be helpful if all dialog boxes were centered in the visible area above the on-screen keyboard instead of centered on the entire screen. if detecting keyboard height is problematic, just always position dialogs at the very top of the screen.

thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180212-094802.jpg
(104.22 KiB) Downloaded 4227 times
Screenshot_20180212-094815.jpg
(105.83 KiB) Downloaded 4227 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: (suggestion) center dialogs above on-screen keyboard

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again and thanks for the report.
I understand. I'll see what I can do.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:03 pm Hi again and thanks for the report.
I understand. I'll see what I can do.
Best regards
Please don't forget landscape display as well as portrait ;)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I've published a beta version with a alternative way of displaying the keyboard. Please let me know if you have beta versions so I tell you how to activate this display. I haven't set it by default because I don't like the landscape version of it (only the current text field is displayed).
Best regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I've published a beta version with a alternative way of displaying the keyboard. Please let me know if you have beta versions so I tell you how to activate this display. I haven't set it by default because I don't like the landscape version of it (only the current text field is displayed).
Best regards
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

i have the beta, how do i try out the feature?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
You need to set those user settings (for your two problems, using version 2.0.9.r4128):

Code: Select all

ui.dialogs.soft_input_resize=true
ui.dialogs.spinners.ellipsize_descriptions=false
Let me know if you have any troubles.
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

once the keyboard is displayed, the dialog does move higher on the screen as requested - however, there are 2 issues i'm seeing now..

1) the keyboard no longer shows by default on either of the dialogs i mentioned, even though the text field has focus (blinking cursor) when the dialog opens. you have to tap on the the field to bring up the keyboard.

2) the checkmark key (enter) on the keyboard does dot perform the default action of the dialog (i.e. "ok" or "search"), instead it only hides the keyboard.

tested so far only on my phone (LG G6 using Google GBoard keyboard)

thanks again!
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

please ignore #1 from my last post, i can't replicate that problem again. issue #2 is still valid.

now that i've had a chance to test both on my tablet and phone, i'm finding they behave differently...

3) on my tablet, both the "create waypoint" and "search location" dialogs stay centered on the screen when they open and therefore are partially hidden by the keyboard. on my phone the dialogs correctly move up above the keyboard.

4) the dropdown for where to save a waypoint still does not expand correctly on the tablet when clicked - the left side of the screen clips it. it works correctly on the phone.

the phone is an LG G6, the tablet is an Asus Zenpad Z8s, both Verizon devices, both on Android 7.0. i did have the tablet set to "large" font in the system display settings, but i also tried setting it back to "default" and the problems still occur.

thanks for looking into these!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
For 2), on my devices, the checkmark key is "Done" and and hides the keyboard, I think this is a common behavior.
For 3), if none of the 2 solutions work (with and without the user setting), unfortunately I don't have another solution right now.
I've posted pictures for 4) here.
But I'll keep investigating.
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

it seems these problems are just with my Asus tablet. i was able to re-create the same problem with the dialogs being partially hidden by the on-screen keyboard in another app on this tablet - yet both apps work correctly on my phone.

thank you for investigating. hopefully the next update from Asus/Verizon will fix the issues.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok thanks for the feedback.