The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] desktop version

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Mohammed Geo

[closed] desktop version

Post by Mohammed Geo »

HELLO
this app is great its useful . but is there a desktop version
thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: desktop version

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in this application!
Unfortunately there is no desktop version.
If you need a complete mapping application, you can use "QGIS Desktop" which is free.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:Hi and thanks for your interest in this application!
Unfortunately there is no desktop version.
If you need a complete mapping application, you can use "QGIS Desktop" which is free.
I'm guessing that the OP was after something akin to the MemoryMap desktop app within which you can plan routes and export them directly to the MM app on your phone. Does "QGIS Desktop" have similar (convenient) features relevant to AQ? From a brief scan of the on-line documentation, it looks like more of a an alternative to Microsoft MapPoint rather than MemoryMap, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm guessing that the only free maps are the usual OpenData ones, ie. no detailed topo maps like OSGB?

I suppose the thing about MM is that it pre-dates Android and was born in a generation when the Microsoft Windows Mobile OS (CE) was king on PDAs. This enabled a seamless interface between PC and mobile, making direct application data transfers an easy thing to achieve. That convenience factor has been lost to a large degree now that these device connections are cross-platform, Windows to Linux. Export / Import has a higher hassle factor, to the point where it can become a disincentive. Add to that, the fact that mobile devices (primarily phones now, rather than PDAs) are so much more powerful these days, that tasks that were once almost impossible on the mobile device, are now very easy, route planning being an obvious example. For me, having AQ running on an Android 12.2" tablet as well as my smart phone, has made my need for a desktop app pretty much redundant.

IMHO, the most useful feature of the MM desktop app is the 3D fly through... I would still like to see something similar in AQ ;)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

QGIS is very powerful and can work with almost any maps (as long as you add them yourself), and you can import/create/export lot of files formats, but for sure it's not as user friendly as MemoryMap... It also does support 3d with a plugin.

I'm currently working on the DEM support in the app, that a first step for 3D! (even if I'm not sure to go that far...)
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !