The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] AQ v2 - Useful GPS settings

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Impiastros

[closed] AQ v2 - Useful GPS settings

Post by Impiastros »

First of all, thank to the Psyberia staff for developing this great application. Extremely powerful and fashinating.
In the previous version of AlpineQuest (1.4.22 for example), the gps settings panel offered the possibility to set two useful parameters to record a precise track:

A) ignores positions if the distance is less than...
B) ignores positions with an accuracy of less than...

These parameters help avoid to add spurious points to the recorded track, in a resulting more reliable path.
I can't find these settings in Android AlpineQuest version 2. Whereas the feature was removed, i would like to suggest to reintroduce the characteristic. Since it's lacking, I verified my track recordings became less precises.
Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: AQ v2 - Useful GPS settings

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your support and feedback.
Sorry for the delay.

You're right that the settings of the tracker did change a bit with the new 2.x version. Here is more details about that:

B) The "ignores positions with an accuracy of less than" option has been removed and is now handled internally by the application. It was dangerous to use, some users did set a very low accuracy, and the whole track was just ignored, blaming the application.
Now, the new version will use the more precise location available over a given time range, depending on the tracking frequency selected by the user. If some un-precise locations are kept, it's because nothing better is available, and I believe that it's better to have an un-precise track rather than no track at all...

A) The "ignores positions if the distance is less than" has been removed to simplify the settings, and replaced by a new option called "ignore location if I'm not moving" (which is equal to "ignores positions if the distance is less than 5m").
There is more to discuss about this point A), but basically you can achieve the same things as before using the new option and the tracking frequency, if you need more space between points, just increase the tracking frequency to "/5s" or "/10s" (do not use "/20s" for a precise tracking as the GPS is turned off between updates to save the battery).
Before releasing the new version, I've made lots of parallel tests and I've found very similar results for fast tracking frequencies ("/2s", "/5s", "/10s", and more precise results for long-tracking frequencies ("/40s" and "/60s").

But what kind of distance would you like to see between your update?
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !