The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] extSD Storage Location on Android 7 (Nougat)

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[closed] extSD Storage Location on Android 7 (Nougat)

Post by Yemble »

AQ map caches can get very large and so it almost inevitable that you will set your Storage Location on an extSD card. On Android 5 (Lollipop) and below, this was straightforward and you had the choice of whether to use Googles preferred folder, or the AQ specific folder. The AQ specific folder was preferable as it would not be deleted if AQ was ever un-installed.

With Android 6 (Marshmallow), however, Google, in their infinite wisdom, decided to enforce the use of their preferred folder on extSD cards and preclude the use on any other folder. As with previous versions of Android, this Google preferred folder would get wiped should AQ ever be uninstalled. The safe AQ specific folder was no longer available as a Storage Location, being displayed with a padlock instead within AQ. In practice there was a technical workaround for this, however, not one for the feint hearted.

The situation remains the same with Android 7 (Nougat), however, there is a much simpler workaround available to enable full write access to the extSD for all apps, including AQ. You will find the Force Allow Apps On External option within the system Developer Options, second from last in the list. This setting is persistant across reboots and unlocks the AQ specific Storage Location folder for selection by the user.

I have tested this successfully on the following platforms: Motorola X Force (Android 7.0 and LineageOS 14.1), Motorola X Style (Android 7.0 and LineageOS 14.1), Galaxy S5 (LineageOS 14.1) and Galaxy NotePRO (LineageOS 14.1). Note that all four devices are rooted, however, I don't think that matters.

Hopefully someone will find this info useful...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: extSD Storage Location on Android 7 (Nougat)

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Thanks a lot for this useful and clear information. I didn't know about it.

For Android 6 users (also available on greater versions), a solution is to "adopt" the SD card to turn it into an internal-like memory.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 am Thanks a lot for this useful and clear information. I didn't know about it.

For Android 6 users (also available on greater versions), a solution is to "adopt" the SD card to turn it into an internal-like memory.
I'm pretty certain that most technical users would not find that an acceptible solution ;)
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Just for the record, I have just installed AQ on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Nougat - NOT rooted) and set developer mode to allow use of SD card, but it has not unlocked the non-official folder.

This is no great hardship as I always periodically back up my map files to Windows PC anyway so I'm happy to "risk" the official location, but I'm wondering whether it is a "Samsung" thing.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

This SD card thing is different on all versions and all brands, so it's hard to tell.
I've not really used the developer option for that, so unfortunately I won't be able to tell you exactly when it's supposed to work and when not...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !