The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] How To Add Additional Waypoints Into An Existing Set?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[closed] How To Add Additional Waypoints Into An Existing Set?

Post by Yemble »

Please forgive me for being thick, but I can't seem to work out how to add additional waypoints into an existing set of waypoints.

Surely there is a way to do this, but I just cannot figure it out :roll:

If it cannot be done, then may I please request it as a new feature.

FYI, I am trying to gather a set of POIs for an upcoming holiday, which I would like to be stored as a single set of waypoints in AQ. However, I would like to add them into the set in an ad-hoc fashion, over the next couple of weeks ,as and when I "discover" them.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: How To Add Additional Waypoints Into An Existing Set?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Yemble and sorry for the delay.
There are various ways to do that:
- Long press your set (from the Landmarks Explorer) or press it (from the map view) and select "Edit points". You'll turn the edit mode on and you'll be able to add new points (and move or delete existing ones);
- From the Landmarks explorer, you can copy/paste waypoints and sets into an existing set to merge them. Long press the first set, select "Copy" (or "Cut"), then move inside the second set, and paste your set using the "Clipboard" icon added in the top action bar. Be sure to use the last version (2.0.2);
- From the Landmarks Explorer, select your set to display details and list waypoints. Using the "+" button (bottom / right), you can add new waypoints in it;
- In the Landmarks Explorer, select your set to displayed its details and list waypoints and close the Landmarks Explorer using the top/right close button. Then from the map, click on the map center icon, select "Waypoint" to create a new waypoints and click on the "save location" icon to select your set. Be sure to use the last version for this too.

Hope it helps
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Therein lies my problem, as the long-press on set file was the first thing I tried, since it is the most intuitive thing to do. Unfortunately, the menu displayed does not include "Edit Points". Remember this file is a "Set Of Waypoints" rather than a route, so there are no points to edit ;-)

Using the cut / paste method, I receive a Java error at the point where I paste from the clipboard... Class: BCM, Null object reference.

The + button option would probably work, but it is of no use since it is not selecting a point from the map, it just prompts for a name and assumes you know the co-ordinates (which I don't).

The last option is the one that works :-) I had tried something similar, but was selecting "Create A Landmark", rather than "Waypoint". However, the trick that I missed was pre-selecting the set file in the explorer.

Although this method does work, it all seems overly complicated, even to an experienced AQ user like me. What I was really expecting was to be able to long press the waypoints set name and then select an "Add Waypoints" option, similar to what you described for route files. Having selected "Add Waypoints" I would expect the app to enter the same mode as when selecting "Create Set Of Warpoints". Does this make sense?

*** EDIT ***
After a bit more experimentation I discovered that clicking on one of the waypoints on the map itself and then picking the set file name from the context menu, does produce a dialog that does have the "Edit Points" option on it! Moreover, selecting "Edit Points" does put AQ into the same mode as "Create Set Of Waypoints" ... exactly what I was after in the first place :D

So all we are dealing with here is a small ommission on the menu shown when performing a long-press on the set name within Landmark Explorer (ie. the "Edit Points" option is missing). Plus the Java bug, of course ;-)
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

*** EDIT 2 ***
I retried the cut / paste operation and it worked without error, so I am completely at a loss as to how I managed to generate a Java error the first time. Possibly too much navigating around within Landmark Explorer? So there is a bug in there somewhere, but it is not preventing waypoint cut / paste operations under "normal" operation :D
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok great for the copy/paste.
It's hard to say right now for the Java error, next time you encounter one don't hesitate to make an error report from the app (main menu -> More -> Report errors) so I can get more information.

And you should be able to select "Edit points" even for sets. Here is the online help for sets.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote:Ok great for the copy/paste.
It's hard to say right now for the Java error, next time you encounter one don't hesitate to make an error report from the app (main menu -> More -> Report errors) so I can get more information.

And you should be able to select "Edit points" even for sets. Here is the online help for sets.
Sorry, please accept my apologies, as the "Edit Points" option IS on the Set Of Waypoints long-press menu, but you need to scroll down to see it. I must have been suffering from brain fade the other day... DOH ! :shock:

I'll let you know if I work out how to reproduce the Java error.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem don't be sorry :)