The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] saving waypoints to my imported gpx directory

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Bogac

[closed] saving waypoints to my imported gpx directory

Post by Bogac »

hello, i was using the lite version, and finally i upgraded to pro.
i love your user friendly interface and maps, i was a Locus user in previous.

one thing very important for me, i have exported my favourites to alpinequest directory..fine... exported as gpx.
i see the waypoints one by one... fine.

but;
when i open the app. i try to save a waypoint to this directory, i can not see this custom folder under "save to" options. pls see attached.

any workarounds?

thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-04-13-12-48-28.jpg
(87.57 KiB) Downloaded 7393 times
Bogac

Re: saving waypoints to my imported gpx directory

Post by Bogac »

further notice:
im trying to continue to add the new waypoints, to the favourite waypoints i have imported as gpx, since i will use alpinequest from this moment as my prime application.

when i try to do this, as inserted screenshot above, the new imported directory does not show up?
why?

in locus this is a way far easy...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in this application.
When you want to create a new waypoint from the map, you can choose to save it in the "Unsorted landmarks" folder or in the "current" landmarks folder ("My landmarks" in your case). If you want another folder, click on "Explore landmarks" just below, then select your folder and close the explorer (top right close icon). Create a new waypoint and you'll have your folder listed.
Let me know if this is not clear.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Bogac

Post by Bogac »

hi,
as a previous user of LocusPro this process is painful and not working I'm afraid. Landmarks Menu folder tree design is a bit problematic

i did you said upwards, but my folder is not listed, afterall

i have a imported gpx file, when i try to reach and continue to save waypoints to this file, i can not see this specific folder.

may be a bug, or so?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi understand you are a previous Locus user, and that things may change with this application.

But importing a GPX file and adding waypoints in it is very simple (maybe not the same way, but simple).
Here is an example on how to proceed step to step:
- From ES File explorer or any Android file explorer, click on you GPX file;
- Android lists all compatible applications, select AlpineQuest;
- AlpineQuest is started, imports the file and list the content. Close the landmarks explorer using the cross icon at top right;
- Move the center of the map on the location you want to create your waypoint and click on the center icon, in the menu select "Waypoint" under "Create a landmark";
- In the create dialog, click on the small disk icon and choose the file that has just been imported;
- Click on OK.

Let me know what step is a problem.
Bogac

Post by Bogac »

i guess the issue is alpinequest is importing miltiple waypoint as favourite.gpx.ldk.

as "sets of waypoints"

ia there any way to import multiple waypoints with .gpx and see them one by one Not in sets?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
If you import a GPX file with one point, this will create a single point.
If you import a GPX file with multiple points, this will create a set of waypoint.
Now you can always copy/paste points outside of the set if you don't want them to be part of it, but I don't see any reason why...
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

i am also having similar problems with saving new content into an imported GPX.LDK file...

my desired outcome is to be able to display one or more GPX files and then save all new waypoints that i create into one of those currently displayed GPX files.

i think that in v2, the overall workflow is that i must import a GPX file, then save any new content to the imported GPX.LDK file, and then re-export that LDK back to standard GPX format. i still find the number of steps frustrating. however, even following this procedure, i cannot seem to accomplish the part of saving a new waypoint into an imported GPX...

the steps i am taking are:
- i import a GPX with: explore landmarks > browse to and tap the GPX file > tap "display"
- create landmark > waypoint > explore landmarks...
(note that at the last step, i would expect my currently displayed GPX.LDK files to all be options in the drop down for simplicity with common use cases)
- ...i browse to the "local landmarks/imported landmarks" folder where my imported GPX.LDK file is, but HOW TO SELECT IT?
(clicking the file name browses the contents of the file (expands it to show waypoints/tracks), clicking the file icon brings up a menu but no option to "choose" or otherwise select this file.)

thank you in advance!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
There is no need to "choose" a file to save items in it, just browse it (or any sub-folder) and close the explorer using the "Close" button (top/right). Then when creating new items you'll be able to select it (in a way, to "choose" a destination you just need to browse it).

It did change a bit in 2.0.1, now what you can do is:
- Click on a GPX file to import it;
- When it's done the app ask you to display or browse the file, select "Browse";
- Close the explorer or display the items you need to display (if you have waypoints, you can select the "Waypoints" header menu and select "Display all", it will close the explorer and display the waypoints on the map;
- Create new items, and in the save location use the drop-down to select your .ldk file (number 4 in here).

Let me know if something isn't clear.
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

i was tutoring a new AlpineQuest user last night on the app and when we got to this subject i was still frustrated by this process...

1) i realized that in the instructions on your last post above, there is one critical step we were doing differently that throws everything off...

- Problem #1 (inconsistent behavior): after importing a GPX file, we clicked "Display" instead of browsing and then displaying. this results in the newly generated gpx.ldk file NOT being already listed in the target locations drop down of the create waypoint dialog.

2) since our imported gpx.ldk file was not already in the target locations drop down, i tried to explain to the person i was assisting how to choose their target location using the "Explore Landmarks" option in that drop down...

- Problem #2 (bug): when you use "Explore Landmarks" to choose a target location, then close the explorer/browser interface with the "X", you are dumped back into the main screen of the app instead of back into the "Create Waypoint" dialog. you have to do 3 clicks again just to get back to the dialog and see that now your chosen target location has been selected. if you already typed in a waypoint name and chose color/icon/etc., all that info is simply lost!

- Problem #3 (unexpected behavior): after saving a waypoint and choosing a target location, then if you later use the "Explore Landmarks" command from the main menu (to browse-to and perhaps display more than one LDK file), this changes the target location for the next time you try to create another waypoint. this is unexpected as normally once you've selected something in a dialog, the choice either persists, or else resets completely each time the dialog is displayed - the fact that a completely different feature of the app would affect this drop-down is not intuitive.

- Problem #4 (non-intuitive UI): the person i was helping was also confused that there is no obvious way to "pick" or "choose" a file or folder for the target location. the idea that you browse around and then just close the entire browser window with an "X" goes against every other PC/Mac/Android/iPhone "file picker" that i've ever experienced. there's always an affirmative confirmation (Select, Choose, Use) button and usually a "Cancel" button as well. perhaps Problem #2 is also part of the confusion since when you close with the "X", it currently appears nothing happened.

Proposed Solutions:

- it would be nice if the "explore landmarks" interface was separated completely from the "choose target location" feature (i.e. the choose location feature would show a stripped down file explorer/browser with only the ability to select a file or folder).

- i realize my first suggestion would be a fair bit of work. therefore, if you could just ensure that ALL current LDK files (each one in the "Displayed Landmarks" area) are listed as target locations in the create landmark dialogs, that would make the process simple and intuitive for most use cases and not require major changes.

p.s. the above observations were made while using AQ 2.0.4.R3396
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,

Sorry for the delay of handling this request.

As you mentioned, refactoring the "choose target location" would require lot of work, as there is no common file/folder chooser available on Android (on the contrary of the Windows where you can call a common file chooser). This will be for later.

However, your second solution is very interesting. I've included it in the last released beta (r3644) and find it very useful. I'll still improve it before the official 2.0.6 release (right now the choice is not remembered between sessions).

Hope you'll like it,
Best regards
theksmith

BUG: with saving waypoints to my imported gpx directory

Post by theksmith »

there is currently a UI issue when you click on the drop-down for where to save a waypoint to. please see attached screenshot.

i am on AQ beta version 2.0.9.R4096, Android 7.0.

also, i have my font size in Android set to "Large", so that may be related.

thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180212-094734.jpg
(130.37 KiB) Downloaded 5428 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Yes there is a display problem here.
I'll try to see what's going wrong.
Thanks for the report.
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

still a problem in latest beta and i did test with my system font set back to "default" size. but the problem does not exist on my phone. more info here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3442&p=9848#p9848

thanks