The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Historic maps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
ds47uk

[closed] Historic maps

Post by ds47uk »

The current problems with OS 1:25000 maps got me thinking...

You seem to use the NLS (National Library of Scotland) for some UK maps - they also have available old (1937-1961) 1:25000 maps on their website. It would be interesting to have these available in AlpineQuest.

We have some old railway walks up here in North-East England (long-dead colliery railways converted to cycleways and footpaths), and I have walked some of them with printouts of what they were like in the past. Now if AlpineQuest were to be able to show the old maps as a layer..........

regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Historic maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes you're right they also have various old maps.
I'll try to add them once the new update is available, I'll need more time since this service seems a bit different from the usual ones.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Any progress on this? I have had a go myself using
maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#layers=6
and
geoserver2.nls.uk
but nothing appears to work

I realise that you are hard at work on v2, but would appreciate it if you could have a quick look to see if it is possible to get Historic OS Six-Inch maps into AQ.

best regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I've added those maps in the app under "uk historical maps".
Note sure how many time they'll be working since it seems there's a token.
Best regards
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

EXCELLENT!!! Thank you for that. I'll store the local area while I have the chance!

thanks again

David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem,
Sorry it took so long.
eas

Post by eas »

Thanks for adding the NLS OS 6 inch 1888-1913 maps under the heading UK Historical Maps.
Could I also echo ds47uk's original request that the NLS OS 1:25,000 1937-1961 map set be added to the UK Historical Maps when you have a spare minute!

Thanks,

eas
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Let's be really cheeky and ask for the 25 inch maps as well ;) There are some fascinating maps of Edinburgh and some of the Scottish Highlands, although at the present rate it will be about 2020 before NLS get up to Durham!!
eas

Post by eas »

Yes, I was tempted to request the 25 inch maps too but it is still work in progress and the NLS started down south and haven't got as far as Scotland yet (ironic).

AlpineQuest works really well with two layers, superimposing the 6 inch maps on modern OS maps.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Nice maps, and incredible work from NLS... I've added them (let me know if there is anything wrong).

By the way, the v2 version is almost ready (at last), it should be available end of next week.
If you're interested, you can get it right now from Google Play by following instruction given here.
Best regards
eas

Post by eas »

Correction:
eas wrote:... the NLS started down south and haven't got as far as Scotland yet (ironic).

I retract that statement. I misread a recent announcement by NLS. They already have a large number of OS 25 inch Scottish maps online for the inhabited urban and rural areas. It is the England and Wales sheets that are 'work in progress', being added from south-east to north-west.

Thanks for adding the new layers, it is all looking good.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
Zapatak

Re: [closed] Historic maps

Post by Zapatak »

I currently have UK historic maps available on two devices but not the third which has the largest display. What is happening ?

Cheers
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

I would suggest the easiest way is to copy the COM46.AQX file from one of the devices that works onto the one that doesn't and see if that fixes it. If you copy all the other COM46... files you'll get the maps as well.

Folder is AlpineQuest/cache/custom-maps
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Alternatively, to add the UK historical maps, you can suggest the map "http://maps.nls.uk".