The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] google maps

It's all about maps...
Ticca

[closed] google maps

Post by Ticca »

Hi guys,
I love your app but I've been a bit disappointed by the last version removing the area download for google map and earth. Would it be possible to create a custom alpinequest map to get them back? (I'm not familiar with your aqx format)
Thanks anyway for this great app!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: google maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately we didn't have the choice, it was a request from the Google Maps team.

Here is what you can do:
1) Still use these maps, but without the area download feature (and export map one).

2) Use alternative maps. For aerial maps, you have for example:
- Bing aerial;
- USGS Imagery (if you are in the US);
- ESRI Satellite (from the community map list).

3) Manually add Google maps using an AQX file like you suggest. You can even override the builtin Google Maps by putting the attached file in the cache folder (usually '/sdcard/alpinequest/cache/builtin-maps/').
Be sure to use the last version (1.4.15 or more).

Hope it helps
Best regards

Edit 1: update the file so English names are displayed by default. Use the "(localized)" map to get localized names on the map.
Edit 2: there is new and simpler solution explained here.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
paws

Post by paws »

Does the work-around also work for the All-in-One Offline Maps app? I'm trying to add the GOOGLE.AQX file to the SD folder, but cannot find the equivalent of '/sdcard/alpinequest/cache/builtin-maps/' for it.

Thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes, it does also work with All-In-One Offline Maps.
The default folder is '/sdcard/OfflineMaps/cache/builtin-maps/', but it can change depending on the device. You can check it from the application settings: App menu icon -> Settings -> Storage device, and look at the one which is selected.
Be sure to use the last application version.
Best regards
Paws

Post by Paws »

I went in to the Settings menu and found the storage. The path for both Auto-Detect and the SD card selection was mnt/sdcard/external_sd/OfflineMaps/. The amount of data stored seems right: I did a couple "Store Area" operations and the amount stored went up by the same amount that the app predicted the selections would take. The trouble is that when I look at the sdcard/external_sd/ folder using a USB connection to my PC the folder is empty. I've tried turning on and off "Show Hidden Files" but still get nothing. Any ideas?

My testing was with the Open Map Roads. If I can't get Google Maps that seems like a decent alternative, so I'm not fretting as much as earlier (trip in five days).

I'm running Android ICS and have the last release of the app - just bought it this afternoon.

Thanks for the quick response!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It may be 2 things:
- the data is not well synced (recent data for example), so you don't see it from your PC. Try to restart your device and connect it again.
- in your PC, you have 2 distinct partitions opened. In this case, '/sdcard/' is the Internal memory of your device, and '/sdcard/external_sd' is empty, since all the content is listed in the second partition (whereas viewed from your device, everything is "merged" under '/sdcard/').
Paws

Post by Paws »

Okay! I think I found it! I had previously reset the phone, but was way too fixated on the "external-sd" folder - I think the OfflineMaps folder appeared when I did that, but I kept looking one level deeper for it. The path doesn't exactly match what the app says, but as you wrote the phone is looking at the memory differently from how the PC sees it. I found a Cache folder with the builtin-maps subfolder. It has .DAT and .IDX files for GMAPS, GROADS, and OSMONROADS. Is this the place?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes that's the right place.
Just copy the file inside (no file should be named like that already). Then restart the application, and the small crosses on Google maps should not be there anymore.
Paws

Post by Paws »

Awesome! The crosses are gone and I am doing a test "Store Area" - working perfectly!

Sorry for being such a noob!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem, it's good if everything's fine now.
Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

This doesn't work any more on version 2??
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes, but there is a much simpler solution explained here.

Re: [closed] google maps

Post by Guest »

Hi there, reopening this topic. I tried both solutions, but I don't seem to have implemented them correctly as nothing works out.

I took the GOOGLE.AQX file I found in the maps folder and placed it in my storage location (Kingston SD card\Android\data\psyberia.alpinequest.full\files) -> nothing happened afterwards : I still cannot download the Google Satellite maps.

I also tried the 'simpler solution'... but it seems only to have suggested the map, and didn't manually configure anything on my side: did I miss something here as well?

Many thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [closed] google maps

Hi,
The only things to do is to follow those instructions: https://www.alpinequest.net/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=2314
No file to copy or edit. It will work.