The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Waypoints can no longer be created under Android 4.4

Something wrong? Report it here
Harm

[fixed] Waypoints can no longer be created under Android 4.4

Post by Harm »

After upgrading my Galaxy S4 (model GT19505) to Android 4.4 KitKat, waypoints can no longer be created.
Older waypoints are still visible.
My system uses Offlinemaps v 1.14
Detailed description:
When ", Creating a landmark", pressing "Waypoint", entering a name, and pressing OK, the screen says:
"Information
The requested action 'crate-local-waypoint' failed."
After pressing Ok, the screen says:
"An error occurred.
Failed to save the file to '2024-03-24, 14-01-42.wpt'
Throws: java.io.FileNotFoundException
Message: /mnt/extSDCard/OfflineMaps/landmarks/2014-03-24, 14-01-42.wpt: open failed:
EACCES (permission denied)"

My tablet Samsung tablet 10.1 (model number GT-N8010, running under Android version 4.1.2 and using also Offline maps 1.14 does not have this problem.

HT
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Waypoints can no longer be created under Android 4.4

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

Unfortunately, starting with Android 4.4, applications can no longer write anywhere on the external SD card.

Right now, the recommended solution is to store your data on your device built-in memory. To do that, open the application settings, click on 'Storage device' and manually enter '/mnt/sdcard/' (which is actually your internal memory), or locate it among the proposed choices (should be 16GB or 32GB big depending on your device). Then restart the application.
You'll be able to use your old waypoints using the Landmarks Explorer.

The next version will take care of this problem and you'll be able to store your data on your SD card again.

Let me know if you have any issue our question.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Harm

Works fine under Android 4.4

Post by Harm »

Harm wrote:After upgrading my Galaxy S4 (model GT19505) to Android 4.4 KitKat, waypoints can no longer be created.
Older waypoints are still visible.
My system uses Offlinemaps v 1.14
Detailed description:
When ", Creating a landmark", pressing "Waypoint", entering a name, and pressing OK, the screen says:
"Information
The requested action 'crate-local-waypoint' failed."
After pressing Ok, the screen says:
"An error occurred.
Failed to save the file to '2024-03-24, 14-01-42.wpt'
Throws: java.io.FileNotFoundException
Message: /mnt/extSDCard/OfflineMaps/landmarks/2014-03-24, 14-01-42.wpt: open failed:
EACCES (permission denied)"

My tablet Samsung tablet 10.1 (model number GT-N8010, running under Android version 4.1.2 and using also Offline maps 1.14 does not have this problem.

HT
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
The version 1.15 has been released and you should be able to save everything on the external SD card on Android 4.4 and more:
- Open the application settings;
- Click on 'Storage device' and select the external SD card (the app path should be more complicated including something like '/mnt/extSDCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/') and then 'Ok';
- Restart the application.

Let me know if you have any issue.
Best regards

Post by Guest »

AlpineQuest wrote:Hi again,
The version 1.15 has been released and you should be able to save everything on the external SD card on Android 4.4 and more:
- Open the application settings;
- Click on 'Storage device' and select the external SD card (the app path should be more complicated including something like '/mnt/extSDCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/') and then 'Ok';
- Restart the application.

Let me know if you have any issue.
Best regards
Thanks for the quick response.
I installed version 1.15 and followed your instructions
However in ext SD mode, waypoints can still not be added: same error message as before.
When in internal memory mode: no problem.
Also the memory size of stored maps does not increase, if I scan whole new areas.
So, apparently in ext SD mode no new maps are added.
I checked and restarted several times

Note: Under "Storage device", the button SD Card gives a message that is different from the one stated by you above.
On my Galaxay S4 the message instead is: "Device path: /storage/extSdcad/Application path:/storage/extSdCard/OfflineMaps/
Hope this rings a bell.

Harm
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok so unfortunately the writable folder hasn't been detected...

It should work if you enter it manually however (sorry about that).
In the same 'Storage device' setting, enter (exactly) in the text field above:
- "/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/" (if you have OfflineMaps free version);
or
- "/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/" (if you have OfflineMaps+);
- Validate and restart the app.

Please let me know about the result.

Post by Guest »

OK
I checked it on my OfflineMaps+, and selected under "settings" the page “Storage device”.
I changed the address for the storage device from “storage/extSdCard/” into: “storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/”
After opening “Offline maps” App, a message is quickly (o.3 sec) displayed: “no memory card present”
Then I tested the App by creating a new waypoint.

The result is a screen called “Create a landmark”
“Click on Browse, to change the current Lndmarks Explorer place"
The choice is to select either the “Screen center” or to “Compute the slope
A text message below these two selections on the same page says|:
“The default offline landmarks folder ‘storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/landmarks/’ is not writable

When clicking on “Target center” it enters a waypoint with a purple line attached to the screen center. But this is not what I want; I want a waypoint without the line attached to the screen center.
Note: waypoints made a few weeks ago are still displayed.
When clicking on “Browse”, then I get the page called “Local landmarks”, showing my list of stored waypoints.
The location indicated for my landmarks is:
/storage/extSDCard/Offlinemaps/landmarks/

Note I did not check the storage of maps on the extSD; I expect that creating new waypoints is a faster test
Hope this feedback helps
Harm
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Sorry to bother you will all those things...
The last thing to try (I forgot to mention about that), is to manually create the folder 'storage/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/' (using an Android file explorer or your PC while in usb storage mode).
The first message you get says that the folder specified for the storage doesn't exists, so I guess that's the problem.

Post by Guest »

Appears to work!
I hooked up my USB cable to my laptop, and checked the memory files under "My computer".
In "Galaxy S4/Android/data/" I added the new file "net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus".
Yes!. After this action I was able to add new waypoints, while older waypoints are still visible.
But I lost my " Favorite maps & sets".
I guess I have to select and add them once again (just like after the update to Offline maps version 1.15).

Will check everything in more detail, as we are planning a cycling trip from Eindhoven to Ghent-Calais-Dover-New Haven-Dieppe-Reims-Liege-Eindhoven, and "All in one Offline maps" is just a superb tool for that, while switching back and forth between Bing Satellite map, Google maps, Cycle/Hike maps etc.
Harm, Eindhoven
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Great, thanks for the update!

Concerning your sets, you can restore them by copying the file 'custom_map_sets.fav' from your old app folder (should be '/extSdCard/OfflineMaps/cache/custom_map_sets.fav') to the new one ('/extSdCard/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus/cache/custom_map_sets.fav').

Let me know if anything seems wrong.
Have fun with your great trip and take care!

Post by Guest »

It is a miracle!
My favorite maps are all back.
Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Great!
I close this topic. Thanks a lot for your help.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [fixed] Waypoints can no longer be created under Android

We have updated the online help to explain how to store the data on the External SD card for Android 4.4 devices: