The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Automatically select map for current location

Any question about the app? Ask it here
mitsiman

[done] Automatically select map for current location

Post by mitsiman »

Hi all
Firstly I have to admit to being and ex MM Tracker user. That was/is a great app but is no longer available and I had to re-load all apps onto a new phone :-(
Anyway, AlpineQuest looks great and I have managed to use it fine on its first trip out, does everything I want EXCEPT I cannot seem to find a way to tell it to select a new map for another location. i.e. if I search for a location many miles away and select it, the screen moves to that location but there is no map - I have to go select it from the 'in-bounds' list of maps in the directory.

Am I missing something or is this a feature yet to be implemented?

Many thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Automatically select map for current location

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for using AlpineQuest.
The auto selection of a new map is only done with the '+' and '-' buttons.
Once moved to your new location, you can press the '+' one and see if the a new map will be loaded (a dialog is displayed in the middle). Otherwise try with the '-' button (if this new map is less detailed).
Let me know if it's do the job.
However changing the map while moving could be something nice. I'll have a look at this.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
mitsiman

Post by mitsiman »

OK, thanks. In a way I'm glad - thought it was me!!

Yes, I tried the + & - buttons, it does work but takes several goes in my test.

So, from your comment, if moving out of a map area, you would need to manually select a new map also?

Would definitely be a good improvement to implement an auto-map feature/option. After all, the app knows which maps are 'in-bounds' and which ones aren't, maybe just get it to load one of those; better than a blank screen...

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes you're right.
I'll work on it. I have added this feature in the wanted list.
Thanks a lot.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Is there a targeted version for this new feature. I also admit to being an ex MM Tracker user.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
This feature has been actually added in version 1.3.5, but removed in 1.3.6 (see the discussion about it).
I have to re-think this feature. I'll try to make it soon (next version or the one after).
Best regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I have added a modified version of this feature.
It will be in AlpineQuest 1.3.7.
Best regards
photoleif

Post by photoleif »

Perhaps would it be possible to specify a 'backup' map type to display, should data from another be missing? For instance, specify in user settings that Bing Roads is a backup to Bing Hybrid, and thus if a tile of Hybrid at a specific zoom level is missing, then if that one in Roads is available, that one is displayed. This way, a user out in the backcountry isn't looking at blanks and having to manually change map source. It would be better than nothing.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

In a way you can already do this: just display your "backup" map first ("bing roads"), then go back to the maps list, long press your second map ("bing hybrid"), and select "Add as layer". It will be displayed on top of the other, so all missing areas of the top map will be displayed using the backup one.
You can even save those two maps as a "favorite set" (from the "Displayed maps" list), so you can restore them in one click (no need to do the "add as layer" stuff again).
Hope it helps
Best regards
photoleif

Post by photoleif »

That's a good point. I have done this before but didn't realize one would 'show through' if the other is missing tiles. I'll give it a shot.